Chapter 8

Mumbling

"I've taken my decision.

I'll be your girlfriend"

Gaster's eyesockets widened in surprise after hearing your decision about being his girlfriend.

"Oh. So...you actually accepted it. From what you said when leaving my office I thought you wanted to kill me for even asking you this, which I have to admit, it was...kinda inconsiderate of me. I mean, not every day you get asked to pretend and be someone's girlfriend to help them with their research. What made you change idea though?" he asked out of curiosity.

Darn it, that hit a spot, you thought.

You couldn't tell Gaster that you needed money because your personal funds were lacking: that meant showing something you considered a weakness of yours. Making errors for a time machine...you couldn't let yourself to do something like this. Not for...

"I...I uh...I actually am interested in your research and want to see your progress on it!" you said in a rush with a nervous smile.

Gaster though, didn't look so sure.

She's lying. She has hesitated for a moment before answering, and right after then she plastered a nervous smile on her face. She doesn't want to tell me why she has accepted my request. Might go a little bit deeper with questions and observe her reaction, he thought.

"Well then, I guess we are "partners" now. Oh, don't worry, I will pay you as I said before, as a thank you for the help you're lending me" he said to notice your reaction.

You subconsciously brightened up a bit when he mentioned the word "pay", and he assumed a few things.

Has she accepted my request for money? Is she greedy? I wouldn't think she is, a scientist of her caliber only works if she is affectionate to a research...I don't believe this option. Something happened for her to accept my request.

"Okay then, don't misunderstand me anyway, I still hate you and always will" you said with an evil smile, feeling slightly reassured by the fact that you could now continue your project with Gaster's money.

His lips curved into a nasty smile as well, as he looked pissed off and ready to snap. Surprisingly, you giggled a little after he showed you that face.

"Well...how are we going to proceed then? Do we, like, need to hold hands or what?" you asked, catching your breath after laughing.

Gaster's face shifted as he looked like he just remembered something.

"Oh yeah, about that...well, the most convenient idea would be for us to totally act as if we're really each other's soulmates"

You blinked your eyes in slight confusion.

Weird way to pretend, you thought.

"Okay, soo? What do you intend to do and what do you mean for "totally act as if we're each other's soulmates"? Do you have any suggestions for that?"

For the first time, Gaster looked unsure.

I didn't think this through-, he thought. What the heck should I do now?

"Err...actually, you mentioned before about holding hands, didn't you? Give me your hand a moment" he said, even though it looked more like an order.

You hesitantly stretched your hand for him to take, and he carefully took it in his.

You suddenly felt a weird feeling, something growing more and more in your chest. It was unstoppable. What was it? What were you feeling? You were starting to feel odd.