Chapter 24

Sans

New Home was built quickly, along with all the other villages and cities.

Unbelievably, three years had passed, and lots of things had happened: Asgore asked Toriel to marry him and she gladly accepted, and after a year, a baby was born, whose name was Asriel. And it was almost like the War never happened for the majority of Monsters. Everyone was pretty happy nonetheless.

Everyone, except for a skeleton.

Three years had passed since your disappearance.

Gaster started writing everything down on a diary, mostly about his life on the surface. Mostly about you.

He honestly didn't know how to feel about you anymore: sometimes he would wake up in the middle of the night after nightmares of you dying, and he would immediately start crying. Dreams where you died and all he could do was watch.

He only wished for the nightmares to stop. It was depressing him. The nightmares were depressing him. Your absence depressed him.

Your "death" depressed him.

To distract himself, he decided to rebuild the Core: the same Core that you helped him working on. He would often think about you when organising his blueprints, but he always tried to shake the thought off.

And most of the time, he clamorously failed.

He even carried with him all the time the photo you had taken after your bookstore date, and he had written "Don't forget" on it.

He wanted to forget the suffering, but the inner part of his soul pleaded him not to.

And here we are now: his subordinates had decided to build the Lab in Hotland, near a river that could be traveled to reach the new city in the snow, Snowdin, and the ciry between the waterfalls...Waterfall.

Asgore was often laughed at for the choice of names.

Gaster woke up in his house in New Home, after another nightmare in which, this time, you burnt in front of him, and your screams still filled his ears. He woke up, gasping for air, and when he realised that he was in his home, alone, without you sleeping beside him, he brought his hands to his eyes and started sobbing.

He couldn't take it anymore.

He needed someone to comfort him.

But who?

After collecting his thoughts and gaining back his composure, he stood up from the bed and got dressed, still wearing his black lab coat and his white-cream turtleneck.

He walked in the kitchen, where the two containers still stood, who got dusty from being unopened for a bunch of years by now.

He looked at them, wondering how they could still be intact for years by now. And then he remembered that their creator was you, so of course they were so resilient. Plus, there was magic flowing in them. Gaster's magic.

He shook his head, looking away from them, and got out of his house, to the site of construction of the Core.

He could have simply teleported to the site, but he was used to walking along with you. Plus it would have tired him a lot.