[ 006 ] ❝ congratulations on the radio ❞

'Tennis is a fine balance between determination and tiredness.'
- Virginia Wade.

Lucía spent Saturday training with her coach ready for Sunday where she'd face Madison Brengle in the Round of 32. It was also qualifying today and so after an intense training session out on the court for two hours, she went to the gym and set the race up on her phone. It was an early weekend of F1 for herself as she was in Miami, meaning qualifying was at 10 in the morning. She only stayed in the gym for an extra hour, spending half of that time on cardio while the other half was on weights, before showering and making her way to the outside section of the hotel where she could eat. Her older brother, Sebastián, had come to Miami with her to support her, having taken a week off work. Luckily he had pretty flexible work hours, unlike her mum, who unfortunately would have to miss the Miami matches. Charles and Sebastián had met each other before at the Australian Open and had both been there when she had won the final. They got along really well and ever since becoming friends Seb had gotten more into F1. Of course his favourite driver was Sebastian Vettel, because despite being twenty five years old, the Aston Martin driver was his favourite because they shared the same name.

While she stuck to what her athlete diet required her to eat, especially before a big game, Sebastián seemed to order one of everything off the menu. He ordered, what in England they call a full English breakfast, and a side plate of pancakes covered in nutella and strawberries.

"The strawberries make it healthy," he told her, scoffing it down. Yet he still managed to be on the skinnier side. Definitely not athletic though.

"You're fast metabolism might not last forever, you know?" She teased him.

"Then I've got to take advantage of it while I can." He had a fair point. She held her hands up in mock surrender, leaning back in her seat. At the moment it was just the Sky Sport's commentators talking on her phone screen, which was propped up on her glass of water. She had one air-pod in so the noise didn't disrupt those around her but she could still hear Seb at the same time.

"What's your plans for today?" She asked her brother. She had another planned training session later on one of the courts outside.

"Lounge by the pool." He shrugged. "Enjoy the free food and drinks you're paying for."

"Therefore technically not free." Lucía tilted her head to the side.

"Oh hush, some of us don't win millions of dollars every time we win a Grand Slam." He waved a hand in her direction making her scoff in amusement.

"I've won two."

"Two more than anyone I know. Otherwise I'd hang around them." She lent up to whack him with her napkin, rolling her eyes at his teasing. "You nervous about tomorrow?" He asked her, more serious this time.

"Always." She brushed off, breathing in deeply and smiling.

"About your match or Charles' race?" He raised his eyebrows, gulping down half of his water.

"Both." She admitted. "We both wish we could be there to support each other, but it's kinda impossible with our work schedules." Shrugging, she looked to the side, where she had a view of the grounds. It was a private golf course for the people staying in the hotel. 

"Listen- I like Charles. I really do. But, wait a sec, I just got step into dad's shoes for a moment, okay, right- let me give you some advice, whatever happens- this- comes first." He pointed down at the table but she knew what he meant. "You've worked so damn hard for this Lu. All your life. You're getting these results, you're proving that you are good enough, that last year wasn't a fluke. You're on your way to becoming one of the greats in tennis. But you can't let him stop any of this."