Chapter 1 - A Sad Party of One - Class Trial Opening

"Step right on in! I spent ages preparing this trial room, so you better get inside." Monokuma instructed us.

I stepped out into the trial room and took in my surroundings...

Well, it was more of a cave than a room.

The walls were covered in the same illuminated colourful crystals from the elevator ride. There were large pillars, holding the rocky ceiling up as water dripped into puddles in the corner of the room.

The trial was set up with podiums, metallic and lit up with built-in lights, going in a circle. Monokuma oversaw it all, sitting on a throne that was elevated by the long steps just under it. TV screens were connected to the ceiling as well, completely out of place in the natural surroundings.

Monokuma clapped his hands and the large set of lights hanging in the middle of the room flashed to life along with a lantern at each podium. There were some candles scattered around and some pretty big crystal formations were put on display behind a frame of glass carved into the wall.

This is straight out of a mining area...Definitely has a creepy atmosphere.

The room had two large metal doors on each side, leading into long tunnels of darkness. What the hell is the point of those?

"T-This...This is terrible! How could you!" Kokoro cried loudly, her finger directly pointed at something by the podiums.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Chiyo...I think you might want to look behind you." Hidemi said, also now staring at whatever Kokoro was pointing at.

"I still don't get...it." I turned around mid-sentence before immediately understanding.

In presumably Akemi and Shimura's places were two portraits to represent them, each with their own photo and a flickering candlelight.

And I thought this place wasn't creepy enough

And I thought this place wasn't creepy enough. Now it's seriously spooky.

"What even is the point of that? To freak us out or some shit?!?" Yukari yelled at the bear.

"Of course not! It's to honour them. Even if the idiots are dead, they still deserve to join you all in this trial! It would be no fun if they got left out and couldn't watch." Monokuma laughed.

It's not like they even could watch considering the two of them are dead...

Shunsuke smiled. "Although almost foolish at a time like this, I must say...The portraits are quite nice. Not like my standard, however!"

"Dude...That's not the point." Tatsuo sighed. "We're respecting them."

"Totally. The guys didn't deserve to die." Finn agreed.

"Well, you cannot be sure of that!" Ryoko piped in. "I'm looking forward to getting to know this case and our killer! I wonder what the execution will be..."

"Execution...That's going to be terrible." Yuna shook her head.

"Terrible? It's way worse than that!" Kairi added.

"Oh well! My opinions will never be agreed upon with you lot." Ryoko sulked and looked away, crossing her arms.

"If you're all done discussing stuff literally no one cares about...Then we can begin!" Monokuma declared with a grin. "Find and settle yourself at the podium assigned to you. When that's done, the arguing can begin!"

We did as we were told and arrived at our podiums, finding mine directly opposite where Monokuma sat. I looked amongst my classmates to see expressions of worry or unease.

Well...except for Ryoko. She looked fine.

Satoshi looked the worst, barely able to lift his head up.

Strange. Just what is up with him still?

Will he assist with the trial too or will he storm away from that as well?

Finally, my eyes landed on the portraits.

Shimura and Akemi were both dead in a matter of hours. Now it's our responsibility to find whoever did this to Akemi.

If not, it's over for all of us except the killer.

Let's see how this goes...

But just who did it exactly?

-