CHAPTER TWO

The Queen scanned the endless sand dunes below, searching for any sign of a mercenary camp. Her head hurt from dehydration, and it felt like the harsh rays of the sun were searing her sensitive wing membranes. She glanced over her right wing to see her King losing altitude.

"I can't!" He cried out, and then fell.

The Queen roared and dove to land beside her mate. He had plowed through a sand dune when he crashed, and his head and neck were covered in sand.

"My King... We are so close." The Queen nudged his snout with her own encouragingly. "I think... Their settlement moves often, right?"

"Water," was all he managed to croak.

The Queen lifted her head and stared around. Her piercing gaze was unable to find anything other than sand for miles, and her wings were too tired to carry her now that she had landed. Her wings drooped, and she shed a single tear.

"So, this is how it ends..." The Queen stared directly at the sun, roared weakly in defiance, and fell on top of her mate.

- - -

Water engulfed the Queen's head, and she coughed and spluttered, suddenly alive. Her eyes shot open, and all around her Melynx wearing thin tattered hides stared at them.

"What?" The Queen bared her teeth but stopped herself from lunging at the one holding the water bucket.

Melynx! She couldn't believe their luck. Could this be...?

"Slow down, wyvern." A Melynx strode forward with confidence, and the others parted to let her through. "We are not your enemies. At least, not yet. Give us a reason to let you live," The crafty cat drew a sword and jabbed it painfully into the Rathian's throat. "Or you are as good as dead."

The Queen could feel her pulse against the sharp metal blade, and knew this cat meant business. Literally.

"We come seeking your services." The Queen croaked, remembering the frantic scene as her and her mate tried in vain to save their eggs from those ruthless hunters.

The Melynx's eyes shone with greed, and she sheathed her weapon.

"I am listening." She said calmly and sat down on an overturned barrel half-concealed in the sand.

"Where is my mate?" The Queen said urgently, "You found me, you must have found him, too. I will not speak until I hear him speak."

"King of the Skies," The Melynx called, looking slightly agitated. "Your Queen is awake. She refuses to speak until she knows you are alive. Get out here so we can get on with business."

The King strode out of a gigantic tent near the center of the clearing. The sun reflected off his red and black scales. His claws and teeth had been cleaned and sharpened, and his eyes no longer looked tired, but invigorated and energized.

The Melynx must have taken good care of him. But why... When she was still covered in sand?

"Your time for pampering is coming." The Melynx spoke, seeming to notice the look of confusion and slight jealousy on her face. "Your mate here woke up first, and also refused to speak until he heard you. It seems as though you two are of one mind, so we decided to treat him to the good life. You will be cared for in the same way later."

"Food?" The Queen asked.

"This is a desert," The King said, coming over and nuzzling his mate. "I was offered some, but I declined. I want our mercenaries to be at full strength. We can catch our own later, and maybe a bit extra for the camp."