CHAPTER NINE

Master Utsushi was surprised to see Red and Beanie limp back into Kamura Village. The sun was just about to dip below the horizon when his laugh rang across their quiet, peaceful home.

"You're telling me you killed a Great Izuchi?" Master Utsushi barked another laugh. "Yeah, sure, and Mosswine will fly! Bahaha!"

He walked away, wiping tears of hysterics from his eyes. Red and Beanie looked at one another, but instead of feeling anger that their master disbelieved them, they simply smiled and headed to the Gathering Hub, dragging the items and carves they got from their exploration behind them.

They entered the Gathering Hub, set down their packs by the counter, took their seats and sighed before letting their heads drop onto the counter in pure exhaustion.

"Hard day, ma'am?" Sky asked, greeting them with a small bow. "What can I get you two tonight?"

Red snorted and ordered, while Beanie wrinkled her nose and tried to figure out if Sky was being sarcastic.

"Oh, fine," she sighed. "I'll take a glass of milk."

Sky brought them their orders and went back to cleaning the counter tops. Beanie wondered if he did anything but clean when he wasn't serving guests. By the look of the pristine Gathering Hub, she guessed not.

"...must work harder. We need to prepare." Beanie turned to see Old Ivory and Shark entering the Hub. It was Old Ivory who spoke, his voice cracking with age. "Magnamalo's return is only a few months away."

Shark's expression was focused as they settled themselves in their usual spot near the back. Beanie caught Shark's eye and waved. He wagged his tail in return.

"Magnamalo," Sky whistled. Beanie jumped, not realizing he'd come back over to their end of the counter. "Boy, what I wouldn't give to see you and Red take that thing on. Hah! Who am I kidding? Even Ivory couldn't handle it, and he was a seasoned hunter. Ha!"

Red bared his teeth at Sky, and before anybody could stop him, the Palamute lunged across the counter, snatched Sky by his neck bandana, and flung him out into the open. Sky yowled, scrambling for cover, but Red was on him in an instant, his teeth pricking the back of the Palico Chef's neck.

"Red!" Beanie cried frantically.

Old Ivory stood up, his twisted hand flying to unsheathe the sword on his hip. Shark was right there by his master's side, ready to lunge once the order to attack was given.

"You really don't think we can handle Magnamalo?" Red growled into Sky's ear. Sky cowered on his stomach, shivering as Red's drool dripped and matted his neck fur. "You have no idea what we are capable of. What Beanie is capable of. I always thought I would be the fighter, the hunter. But Beanie is far more skilled with weaponry than some of the most advanced hunters I have ever seen. I blame her smaller size: she can become airborne with one simple jump. She can scale the massive beasts and camp in places they cannot easily get at her. There, she is able to hack away until the blood stops flowing, and all signs of life have been eradicated. I am far better at playing support and giving information. Beanie is the real hunter. Beanie is the real hero of Kamura Village!"

Red paused.

"So SHUT UP!"

The once enraged Palamute returned to his bar stool and lapped up his beverage as if nothing had happened. Old Ivory and Shark ran over to help Sky to his paws and guided the hysterical Palico over to their table. Beanie was beside herself. She looked at Red. He looked at her. She tried to speak, but the words wouldn't come. In the end, she jumped off her stool and ran out of the Gathering Hub, crying.

"Beanie!"

Beanie ignored Red's call and didn't stop until she was inside their shared house, hidden under layers and layers of blankets. She let the tears come, wailing into her pillow, clawing at the corners furiously.

The dead Arzuros flashed I front of her swollen eyes.

"Beanie?" Red's voice was much calmer, and she felt the blankets collapse around her as he laid down beside her. "Are you alright? What happened? I'm sorry if I went overboard. I didn't mean to make you cry."

Beanie exhaled slowly. Composing herself, she dug her way to the surface of the blanket mound and faced Red.

"I killed an Arzuros." Beanie stated stiffly.

"I was there, too," Red said, "I nearly got eaten by it."

"And I killed the Great Izuchi."

"Second verse, same as the first." Red rolled his eyes. "What about it?"

Beanie paused, not sure how to continue.

"I... I heard them speak?" She tried. "And those Bombadgy. I can hear monster talk."

"You've never heard them talk before?" Red stared in disbelief. "I heard you were a Meowcenary before you joined the Hunters Ranks. Oh, by the way Elder Fugen says we're in. We're hunters now. ANYWAY, you've never heard monsters talk when you were with those other Palicos?"

"No." Beanie shook her head. "We only followed behind the monsters, picking up drops from turf wars, hunter battles, or just... Carcasses we found lying around. This is completely new to me. Wait..." She froze and looked at Red with a new light. "You knew monsters could talk?"

"Everyone does," Red said matter-of-factly. "Everyone, except the hunters. Humans really can't pick up more than Felyne speech at best. Why do you think in those old stories they have you guys saying stupid things like Furreal and Pawesome and Purrfect?" Beanie avoided eye contact, flushing with embarrassment. "They can't understand us. They never will!"

"Monsters are alive." Beanie spoke so softly that Red had to lean in, ears pricked, to hear her. "They can speak, and think, and feel. I bet they have families." She squeezed her eyes shut to stop herself from breaking down again. "I know they have homes."

"Beanie, listen to me." Red was surprisingly stern, and Beanie looked up at him to see what was wrong. "We are hunters now. We can't quit!"

"I never said anything about quitting." She mumbled.

"Good. Yes, monsters are no different than hunters, really, but they are still a hazard to our way of life. Monsters destroy and tear down villages to get at the juicy bits within. Hunters defend those villages. We serve our hunters and must fight to protect our home." Red's eyes dilated just a bit, and his fur began to stand on end. "If we do not do that, we will be chased out, then we will become homeless and then we will die once something bigger comes along and decides we are an easy meal. Do you understand?"

Beanie was about to reply, but there was a knock at their door and Shark appeared. He came in dragging their item packs by his teeth and tossed them at their feet. The packs had been opened but not retied, and herbs, honey and bugs mixed in with Great Izuchi materials spilled out onto the wooden floor. They looked down at their haul, then looked up at Shark to see that he looked impressed, and maybe a bit smug.

"You two are going to make fine hunters one day." Shark said. "Don't listen to what anybody says. You've got enough materials here to make a full set of Izuchi gear for the both of you. I recommend you do that tomorrow before we set out."

"I'm sorry," Red flicked an ear and took a step forward. "Before who sets out?"

"I will be accompanying you two on a quest tomorrow." Shark explained. "I must see what you can do, and I will be taking you both on a strenuous expedition so that we can get a better understanding of what quests you really need to be focusing on right now. Oh, when you get into your new Izuchi gear, do let me know? I really want to be there when we inevitably run into Sky. That kitty cat has no manners and could do with a good dose of reality. Welcome to the Hunter Ranks."