Chapter 3

Brienne had lain sleepless for nights contemplating Lord Tyrion's revelations to her when they spoke in that terrible passageway where Jaime had died

Brienne had lain sleepless for nights contemplating Lord Tyrion's revelations to her when they spoke in that terrible passageway where Jaime had died. Over and over her mind recalled each word he had spoken. She knew Lord Tyrion would never lie to her, and most certainly not about the feelings Jaime held in his deepest heart. All of Jaime's confessions given from his brother's tongue, echoed in the dark of night as Brienne tossed and turned in her bed, sleep a distant hope. This night, she had no wish to seek even rest. Brienne stood, forlornly staring into the fire of the hearth in the Lord Commander's quarters. Oathkeeper sitting watchfully upon the mantle.

She imagined the events as Tyrion had described them, pieced every detail together and filled in the rest with the moments she herself had lived. The time Jaime had spent so happily with her, and all the moments which had passed between them before that, told their story. It was not a tale of love taken lightly, but it was one with a tragically sad end. Now, in Kings Landing, each night, she found herself again holding Jaime's face between her trembling hands in the freezing courtyard at Winterfell, pleading with him not to go. She had felt it then so keenly in the depths of her own heart, that perhaps his actions were not within his control. Everything about him then made it clear to her that he did not wish go.

Brienne's plea to him on that bitter night had not been a greedy appeal for a love which burned in her heart alone. She was not a desperate girl, hopelessly entreating for a man's affections. Jaime's attention and his devotion had been given to her freely and wholly, Lord Tyrion's recounting had confirmed as much. She knew it to be true in the deepest parts of herself. Those precious hidden places that were tied to Jaime still. Brienne had begged him not to die, trying to make him believe by the sheer force of her will that he was a good man. It was only after he had foresaken her, after all hope of his return had quit her, after she had received word of his death, that Brienne allowed the doubt to make her question his motives and his love. She now grew sick with guilt that even for a moment disbelief and heartbreak should have made her question what they shared.

Jaime stood at Brienne's side, through those nights, watching her struggle. He knew his abandonment had left her reeling and confused. Part of him had meant that she should hate him forever, so that she would not follow him to her death. It filled him with pride and a type of joy to know that beyond the hurt he had caused her, Brienne loved him still. It was a testament to the strength of the bond which would unite their souls, always. Before the thought fully formed in Jaime's mind, an expression of awed fascination brightened Brienne's face. He stood only a hair's breadth from her as she took Oathkeeper in hand and crossed the floor.

Tears obscured Brienne's vision as she stopped at the casement and softly pushed the pane aside. Hurriedly she brushed the droplets from her lashes, eager for the view which greeted her eyes. Before her lay the silent yard and gardens of the Red Keep which stretched to the calm darkness of Blackwater Bay beyond. It was not for the ground that her eyes searched. Brienne's gaze rose instead toward the deep purple ink of the night sky. The vast expanse of the universe was pierced as far as she could view by the dancing light of billions of stars. So distant they were from where she stood, yet somehow they seemed so close. Everything the Septons had ever taught made it seem that those far away worlds were the guardians of The Heavens themselves. Brienne's very soul was certain there was truth in their teachings. She had often, as the years had passed, pictures her mother, sisters, and dear Galladon there. It was all the explanation she had of where Jaime could be, for surely a spirit such as his would not simply vanish from existence. For a moment, Brienne surrendered to superstition and hope, for she had no doubt that if she concentrated very hard he would most certainly know she watched from her tiny window. Perhaps he would hear her.