One: The Plan

"Okay, are you gonna tell us why you've gathered us here or are you gonna grab someone else?" Lilith deadpanned, watching her harpy sister pace around the room.

"Please don't bring another person I'm squished." Luz said. She was between Hooty and Lilith, but Hooty kept worming (ha get it cuz he's a worm owl) his way over to Lilith and Luz was stuck in the middle.

"I'm fine." King said.

"Yeah, because you're sitting on my head." Luz pointed out.

"Details." King waved his hand dismissively.

"Alright, listen up." Eda said. "I've brought you here because I think you can help me."

"And we live here." Luz added.

"And you live here." Eda agreed. "But also you can help."

"So, what's up?" Lilith asked. "Did you eat too many voles or something?" She narrowed her eyes, as if she was expecting Eda to vomit up bones.

"It's Raine." Eda said. "They've been acting weird and I don't know why. Especially at the Covern Parade."

"Raine?" Luz asked. "As in Raine Whispers, head of the Bard Covern?"

"They used to date." Lilith grinned. "Eda still likes-"

"Anyway." Eda said pointedly. "I saw them about a week before the parade. They were the leader of B.A.T.s."

"Wait." Lilith stopped her. "The head Bard was the leader of Bards Against the Throne?"

"They'd heard what Belos was doing." Eda explained, slightly impatiently. "They wanted to stop it, but that isn't the point. The point is, I was with them before Covern day, and they wanted to stop Belos. But Darius and Eberwolf knew there was a traitor and caught them. Next time I saw Raine, they were saying that they'd been in bed sick for the entire month."

"So something altered their memories!" Luz said.

"Yes." Eda said. "And we're going to find out what."

"How?" Lilith asked. "Since Luz's school trip, the security has tripled."

"And whose fault is that?" Eda said.

Lilith sighed. "Mine."

"Yes, it is. But that also is a good point." Eda said. "If we're gonna get to Raine without being noticed, we're gonna need some sort of distraction."

Everyone looked at Hooty, who looked excited to be involved.

"I can make the distraction, hoot hoot!" He said. "Lulu can use the porta-Hooty!"

Luz gagged. "Ew."

"Agreed." Eda nodded grimly. "But it's the best option. Hooty is surprisingly good at distracting people."

"Yep!" Hooty exclaimed.

"So, when Hooty is distracting them, I'll fly us into their room." Eda said. "Then I'll talk to them and you guys can guard the room in case someone turns up. Maybe they know something about the Day of Unity too."

"Good plan." Luz said. "When are we doing this?"

"Today." Eda said. "Tonight. As soon as possible."

"Sounds good." Luz said. "I wanna meet your partner." She grinned.

"They are not my partner." Eda said, hoping she wasn't red. "They're a friend who I need to help. That's it."

"Uh huh." Lilith deadpanned. "And Amity is Luz's best friend."

"Why does everyone keep bringing that up?" Luz folded her arms. "I said it one time!"

"Ah, you'll get used to it kid." Eda patted her head.

"Eda would know." Lilith said.

"Shut up."

ooo i'm doing things this is new