Four: Back Again

The rest of the house woke up around an hour later, and Eda found herself being teased by not only Lilith, but Luz as well about Raine.

"Just ask them!" Luz said, mocking Eda's past advice. "It doesn't need to be perfect."

"Oh come on, you were completely oblivious about Amity!" Eda retaliated. "I wanted it over with, is that so bad?"

"Edalyn, how are you any different?" Lilith said. "You complimented their smile and they turned into a beetroot."

"They've always been shy." Eda said. "You saw their stage fright when they became Head Bard."

"I did, and it sounds nothing like what you described to me." Lilith said. "Raine likes you, Eda. I don't know if they ever stopped."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Luz asked.

Eda coughed. "Well, when we were, ahem, much younger.. well, we used to date."

Luz gasped, eyes wide. "Oh my goodness. I knew it."

"Yes, yes." Eda waved a hand. "But we broke up, because I made a mistake. I kept too many secrets. After a while, they got tired of it." She sighed. "I don't blame them."

"But you still like them?" Luz said, sounding hopeful.

Eda tried to act like she wasn't blushing. "Yes. I do."

"And they still like you!" Lilith said. "So tell them!"

Eda rubbed her face. "I don't know, Lily. What if something goes wrong again?"

"Then you can sort it out together." Lilith said firmly. "Communication is key to a healthy relationship."

"How would you know?" Eda half-smiled. (aroace lilith my beloved)

"I watch a lot of couples' therapy shows." Lilith shrugged. "You'd be surprised how often that stuff comes in handy."

"I'm more surprised that you find that entertaining." Eda said.

"I think you may be changing the subject." Lilith smiled.

"I think you may be right." Eda said. "Why stop now? Let's talk about your unreasonable enjoyment of other people's problems getting fixed."

"Yes, let's." Lilith agreed. "You should talk to Raine about how you feel. Then we both have something to do."

"I hate you." Eda grumbled. "Fine, I'll talk to them, but I am not guaranteeing any success!"

"Good enough for me." Lilith said.

Eda pushed open the door, and almost crashed into Raine, who apparently was about to open the door themself.

"Oh, sorry Raine." Eda said, ignoring Lilith's quiet laughter from the kitchen. "What's up?"

"I was looking for you." They said. "I, uh. I was wondering how you were able to turn into the Harpy last night."

Eda grinned. "Follow me, I'll show you."

She brought Raine up to her room, wishing she'd cleaned up beforehand. Eda closed her eyes, and turned into the Harpy.

"Ta-da!" She extended her wings. "Cool, right?"

"I- yeah!" Raine said, blushing slightly. "How did you even do that?"

"You're not gonna believe me, but it was actually down to Hooty." Eda said. "He gave me cookies with sleeping nettles in, and I was able to confront the Owl Beast."

"That's.. kind of amazing." Raine said, looking around. "Wait, do you still have this?" They asked, picking up the viola that Eda had forgotten about.

"Oh, yeah." Eda turned back into her human form. "I found that the day you became Head Bard. I knew you had stage fright, but damn."

Raine cringed. "Don't remind me."

"Aw, c'mon, it was funny." Eda grinned. "Darius is, like, completely done with everything."

"More like he's completely done with me." Raine laughed. "Even after I got mind-wiped, he kept grumbling about his cloak. I had no idea what he meant."

"Ah, well, I'm glad I annoyed him that much." Eda said. "Did him talking about the cloak make your tattoo burn?"

"Uh, no, I don't think so." Raine said. "It didn't make me remember anything, I just thought someone else did it."

"Did you remember anything before yesterday?" Eda asked.

"I.." Raine frowned, thinking. "There were.. some moments. It was never big enough for my tattoo to start hurting, but it was kind of like déjà vu, in a way."

"Like what?" Eda leant forwards slightly.

"Like.. one time I was talking to Darius and he said he was going for some 'me time', and I knew I'd heard him say that before, but I couldn't think where." Raine said. They smiled slightly. "And when I was in the Conformatorium, I heard someone ask if 'Mama Eda' was coming to help them. I had no idea what that meant but I felt.. happier, I guess."

A/N: spelling conformatorium was one of the hardest things i've ever done, i'm gonna be honest

"Happier?" Eda teased.

Raine rolled their eyes, still smiling. "I'd be lying if I said you don't make me happy, Eda. Even after all these years."

"You going soft on me, Whispers?" Eda grinned, elbowing them jokily.

"Wouldn't dream of it." Raine nudged her back.

Eda smiled and leant on their shoulder. "I really did miss you, Rainestorm."

They put their arms around her, and rested their head on her shoulder, their face in her hair. "I missed you too." They murmured.

Eda laughed, stomach full of butterflies. "It's been a while since you've done that."

"It's comfy." Raine defended. "Your hair is, surprisingly, soft."

"I'm not against it." Eda smiled, slipping her hand into Raine's. "It's cute."

She felt Raine's cheeks turn warm against her neck. "Oh shush."

"What? It is." Eda said. "Last time we did this, we were kids."

"Now I remember why I stopped— you kept teasing me about it." Raine said, but their voice held no malice. If anything, they were embarrassed.

"I'm not teasing you." Eda said. "I'm being honest. And I honestly find it adorable."

Raine moved slightly, taking their head out of her hair, but they didn't move their arms. "I can't believe you're doing this to me."

"No!" Eda whined. "I'm not teasing you, I promise!"

Raine was holding back a smile, Eda could tell.

"C'mon, Raine." She said, dragging out the end of their name.

Raine's face broke into a reluctant smile. "I can't say no to you."

"I know." Eda smiled, feeling her chest swell at the look on their face. "You like me too much."

"I do." Raine squeezed her hand. "I always have. But, let's be honest, I stood no chance."

"Stood no chance against what?" Eda asked, face warming.

"Oh come on, you're gonna act like you can't tell?" Raine chuckled. "I love you, dummy."

Eda couldn't help grinning awkwardly. "You- you do?"

"Of course I do, Eda." They smiled. "I have since I met you. I never stopped, you know."

Eda took both their hands in her own. "Neither have I."

I fixed the chapter you're welcome