Shadows and Shades - Part 6

Iden froze. Crosshair didn't really like talking about certain aspects of his Imperial service, and his time on Ryloth had largely gone undiscussed in all of their time together. She knew he'd played a significant part in bringing Ryloth under Imperial control, taking the shot at the Twi'lek senator in order to give the Imperials an excuse to arrest a resistance leader and his family that they considered a threat. Cham Syndulla hadn't gone quietly, and the clone captain sitting in the cell watching them had been integral to the Syndullas' escape. She'd never heard his name before, but watching the way Crosshair's shoulders slumped, she had little doubt that this Howzer was the one he'd vaguely referred to.

"Crosshair-"

"We can't leave him." She stopped, blinking rapidly. He'd said it softly, but it was clear there would be no arguing with him. Iden wet her lips, glancing up and down the hall.

"Open the cell. We can't get caught out here gawking."

Crosshair reached over, punching the button to lower the ray shield. Howzer leapt to his feet as they stepped inside, Iden coming to stand where she could speak quietly enough for only him to hear as Crosshair stood behind her.

"How's your inhibitor chip these days, Captain Howzer?" she asked. His brow furrowed in confusion as he glanced from her to the stormtrooper standing over her shoulder.

"Why?"

"Because I can't bust you out of here unless I have a guarantee that you won't attack me or my friend here for being traitors to the Empire."

Howzer's brow furrowed in confusion. "I don't understand."

Iden sighed. "Yeah, well that makes two of us, but one thing I know is the gentleman standing behind me isn't leaving here without you."

Howzer stared at Crosshair again, his eyes narrowing. "Who are you?"

Crosshair stepped closer, and before Iden could stop him, he reached up and pulled his helmet off. It took Howzer a second to recognize him, his eyes drifting first to the scar on the side of his head and then the tattoo over his eye, but when he did, his face twisted into a snarl.

"You."

"Yes, me."

"Rampart's favorite," Howzer spat.

Crosshair huffed something that Iden supposed was meant to be a laugh. "That's hardly true anymore."

Howzer was unconvinced. "Why in the galaxy would I trust you? You're the one that had me arrested in the first place. I've spent the last few years bouncing around various Imperial prisons because of you."

Crosshair stepped closer, his face inches from Howzer's, and Iden could see guilt in his eyes as he spoke. "Your chip never activated, did it?"

Howzer met his gaze, glaring daggers at him. "Why does that matter?"

"Because if it had, you'd understand why I did what I did." He gripped Howzer's chin, turning his face to look at the sheared side of his head. "It's still in though. No scar."

Howzer yanked his chin loose. "I'm not one of them. Never was."

Crosshair hummed, flexing his fingers. Iden could see he was weighing his options, considering whether this was worth the risk or not. Finally, he exhaled sharply, running his hand through his hair.

Vulnerability isn't something he's used to, she thought, watching as Crosshair's guard came down slightly.

"I understand you have no reason to trust me, but I owe you a debt. I'm trying to settle that by getting you out of here," Crosshair said evenly, doing his best to meet Howzer's stare. Iden could see the shame in his posture as he continued. "If you don't trust me, then at least consider the logic of a move like this. What possible reason could I have for offering you an escape?"