4

chapter four: two blondies

After leaving Elliot's, Melanie had spent all night taking down her braids. They were getting old and she wanted to enter school with a new hairstyle. It was only her natural hair down and out with her curls frame her face, but it was still a different hairstyle. Melanie made sure to wear a cute but simple outfit: a tank top with a fishnet black long sleeve shirt on top, pants, and black and white vans. She made sure to keep a sweater in her backpack for if she got cold.

The girl snapped out of thought as she realized they were parked in front of the school.

"See you later, Fez." She spoke as she got out of the car. "See you, Mel." He called out and she chuckled to herself as she walked into the school. She disliked school, not because of the teens, but the teachers. She'd rather be back at home or at the store, dealing with grouchy people who looked like they woke up around the afternoon. As she walked down the hall, she mindlessly thought about how she didn't even want to look or hear a teacher's voice today. They were so unintentionally annoying to her, and she disliked the way they taught the class.

"Hey, Lanie." The familiar voice snapped her out of thought as she stopped in her tracks and turned around. "Elliot, you're here." She laughed as ran up to him pulled him into a hug. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He laughed as he wrapped his arms around her. "Because I-yeah that was stupid to say, wasn't it? Fuck, I'm just tired, I was up all night taking down my braids." She muttered as they pulled away from their hug, she stopped herself from rubbing her eye because she remembered that she had on make up. "Well, I think you look pretty and I like your hair." He said.

Melanie's POV

Those sly-little fucking compliments.

"Thank you." I smiled up at him. "Oh-there's Rue, let's go." I said once I spotted my best friend. Elliot followed behind me as we made our way to Rue. I then noticed Jules, she chopped her hair. Now, I would say it looked good, but I'm slightly upset with her and I'll admit that I'm being petty and don't even want to compliment her.

"Yo, Rue. What's going on?" Elliot asked. "Hey." Rue said awkwardly, I almost cringed. "Hi." Jules spoke softly, her eyes adverted to mines, softly waving. I didn't wanna be rude, so I waved back.

Jules was acting as if nothing ever happened, as if she didn't leave Rue. Rue spent almost everyday in my room crying to me about how much she missed Jules, and now that Jules was back, it was like everything went back to normal.

"Hi." Elliot said to Jules. "Nothing." Rue answered awfully late.

I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't, it was getting a little too awkward. And if I were to laugh, things would've gotten way more awkward than it already is.