13

chapter thirteen: party of disappointment

Rue's Narration

Melanie never looked back the day she left her parents to live with Fez and Ashtray. She didn't regret leaving her parents either, if anything she was happy to leave them.

The night Melanie fell asleep in her new room was the night she knew that she found her new family. Usually it was hard for a ten year old to get the concept of a family, but Melanie understood that not all families shared the same blood. If anything, she knew she had already found her true family.

"I can always go back with my mom and dad if im taking up space." Melanie spoke softly as she laid in the bed while the twelve year old boy stood in the door frame, shaking his head. "This is your home now too, you don't have to worry about it." He said, she smiled softly. The only source of light she had at the moment was the light from the hallway since the room light had been turned off. "Thank you, Fezco. This means the world to me." She spoke as she pulled the covers closer to her, she had missed the feeling of actual warmth. "Don't worry about it, goodnight, Melanie." He spoke and she nodded. "Goodnight." She spoke, watching as he closed the door behind him. She stared at nothing since it was now completely dark and quiet.

Melanie felt like she could cry, she was grateful to have Fez in her life right now.

At that moment, she knew she had a place to stay and didn't have to worry about a thing. Fez took her to buy new clothes, made sure she could return to school, and made sure that she was safe just like a normal guardian would do. Yeah, he was also a kid, but he was mature, thanks to his grandma teaching him everything he needed to know. Fez took care of three people, Marie, Ashtray, and Melanie at the age of twelve and swore to do that for the rest of his life.

Narrator's POV

Melanie sat on the couch at a random party with her head pounding, she didn't know if it was because how tight she made her ponytail or because of how loud the music was, but she assumed it was both.

"Are you okay?" Melanie looked over at the blonde haired girl next to her. "Yeah-how did you find out about this party?" Melanie questioned. "Umm, I kinda met a few people after we all kinda stopped talking to each other, and she invited me here but I can't find her." Jules said as she still looked around, all Melanie did was nod. "You don't seem happy to be here, is it my fault?" Jules asked and Melanie quickly shook her head. "No, I just still don't like parties, trust me, nothings changed. I only went to the New Years party because Maddy begged me." Melanie laughed and Jules smiled at the girl. "When will you ever be a party girl?" Jules teased. "Never, I like being comfortable." Melanie said and Jules laughed.

It still felt weird to Melanie, not only was she at a party with people she didn't know, but she was also here with Jules, she had never hung out with Jules by herself. It had always been her, Jules, and Rue or her, Rue, Elliot, and Jules.