Chapter Eleven

For the first time in weeks, Anya had not thought of Bruce Wayne.

Not because her embarrassing crush had dissipated over night, but because frankly, she had no time to think about him.

She'd spent the hours after being discovered in Dr. Espinoza's office, flinching every time someone called her name or the phone rang. She half expected Dr. Shorts or perhaps an even higher ranking official, maybe even the police commissioner himself, to call her out of the OR.

Maybe they'd arrest her in front of everyone. Was entering somebody's office without permission considered trespassing?

The day came and went, and soon, her shift was over. It was a short shift, only five hours, all spent observing a high-risk surgery that had proven successful.

"Dr. Flores," Nick, an RN called just as Anya was about to join a fellow resident in the elevator.

Anya prayed Nick simply wanted to make small talk. He'd tried to set her up with his cousin, a psychiatrist at Arkham before, but she'd politely declined. Maybe he was still trying to make them work?

She trudged back to the nurse's desk, hesitantly. "Yes?" She asked.

"Dr. Shorts just called. He'd like you to meet him in the break room." He leaned in so nobody could hear. "I don't know if you know this but the whole top floor... completely ransacked. Gone. You didn't hear it from me though."

So much for discretion and secrecy, Anya thought.

"Did he say why he wanted to see me?" Anya asked. Her palms were beginning to sweat again.

Nick shrugged. "Probably just wants to talk about gallbladder removal or whatever you guys talk about."

Anya thanked Nick, dragging her feet in the direction of the surgery floor's break room.

She chewed at her lip, ignoring the metallic taste of blood on the tip of her tongue.

Too soon, she was at the door leading into the break room. Anya closed her eyes, took in a long breath, then twisted the doorknob.

***

Dr. Shorts looked tired. His usually cheerful demeanor was replaced with a distant, weary expression. He had noticeable bags under his eyes, and his tie was far too loose. His suit had not been ironed.

He sat at one of the folding tables, a can of soda and bag of chips opened in front of him. The break room was empty.

"Dr. Shorts, " Anya greeted the man. "How are you?"

Dr. Shorts managed a smile, but the expression did not meet his eyes. "I've been better, I suppose." He sighed, slouching back in the chair. His hand fiddled with the soda can in front of him, tracing the rim with his thumb. "I suppose you've heard about the robbery."

"Yes, I-"

He cut her off before she could explain herself. "My office was completely ransacked, and most of my files are missing, so the hospital's board wants me to deal with that. Which means, I won't have much time for the Wayne Foundation planning."

Oh. Wow. Anya had all but forgotten about their project. She'd been too wrapped up in thoughts of being fired.

"That's unfortunate." She replied, sympathetically. "I guess our project will have to be put on pause."

"That's where you're wrong, Dr. Flores. I think," he pointed at the woman, still standing by the door. "You can work with Mr. Wayne on this. I have full faith in you."

Anya shook her head. "Sir, I don't-"

"Anya," First name, wow. "You are an excellent doctor. You volunteer at clinics for disadvantaged communities on your days off. You volunteer for everyone's shifts, even when it's clear they're lying about why they can't come in. You're a regular modern-day saint. I have full faith in you. Besides, I already made the suggestion to Mr. Wayne, and he thinks it's an excellent idea."

She did not attempt to mask her surprise. "Mr. Wayne thinks it's a good idea?"

"Not just good, excellent. There's no use in postponing this thing. We need to strike while Mr. Wayne is still interested. You know how wishy-washy rich people are. If we don't work on this now, he'll take that money and use it for God knows what."

Anya bit her lip again; she really needed to stop doing that.

"Okay."

For the first time since she'd walked in, Dr. Shorts's cracked a real smile, one that made his eyes crinkle at the corners. He clapped his hands together. "I knew you would do it."

Of course he had.

***

Dear Dr. Anya Flores,

I am so sorry to hear Dr. Shorts will be unable to work with us. I hope he is in good health, and if there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to ask. Nevertheless, I am excited to begin our work together. Please email me back as soon as possible with dates and times you will be available to meet, so we may schedule accordingly.

Best,

Bruce Wayne

***

Dear Mr. Bruce Wayne,

Dr. Shorts is in good health. Thank you for your concern. I, too, am excited to begin our work on the project. Attached to this email is a spreadsheet with the days I am available for this and the upcoming month. Please email me back with the dates and times that work best for your schedule.

Thank You,

Anya Flores, MD.

***

Dear Dr. Anya Flores,

Excellent. I have attached the days I have determined to work best for us both, beginning this Friday at 6 p.m. I have attached directions to my home as well.

Best,

Bruce Wayne

_________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: As always: add this story to your library, heart this chapter, and leave comments where you'd like! Chapter Twelve will be up super soon. - C