TGP Chapter 39: Pei Family

“The Pei family receives guests.”
_____

The two of them went straight from the palace to the Pei residence.

According to the rules, a newlywed bride should go and serve tea to her in-laws early in the morning the next day, but because Li Rong was a princess, Li Ming entertained a crowd of officials at the morning banquet in the imperial court to show how much he doted on her. Therefore, the formal visit to the Pei family to pay respects was delayed until the afternoon.

After discussing court affairs in the carriage, the two of them wanted to get some sleep for themselves, but they had already arrived before they could even think about it. Pei Wenxuan helped Li Rong down from the carriage. As they entered through the gates, he couldn’t help but ask in a low voice: “Do you still remember the people in my family?”

“I remember.”

Li Rong was quick to follow up and said: “Your second uncle, Pei Lixian is a smiling tiger, and your third uncle, Pei Liwen is like a straw bag. You have three older paternal male cousins and many younger female cousins. The way to distinguish between those three is that the eldest is a highly envious green-eyed monster, the second is lacking in all sorts of virtues, and the third is a Rabbit Lord. And your mother…”[1]

“That will do.” Pei Wenxuan was afraid she would scold his entire family from top to bottom if she kept talking, so he quickly interrupted Li Rong, “I know you remember it all very well, so I won’t give any introductions. With the exception of my mother, you are free to do as you please.”

[1] Quick Guide
Li Rong lifted her head and glanced over at him. Pei Wenxuan saw her sidelong glance and hastily gave a smile of someone seeking to curry favor: “I’ll rub your shoulders when we get back.”

“Then Bengong will give Pei daren some face.”

Li Rong immediately laughed after hearing Pei Wenxuan’s quip in response.

The two were led into the main hall by the servants. As soon as they entered, Li Rong was greeted with the sight of a growing gathering of people. These people stood up, following Pei Liwen’s lead to pay their respects to Li Rong. Li Rong nodded and had everyone rise afterwards. Guided by the attendant beside her, she finally took a seat in the chair in the first row, below the main seat on the left.

Pei Wenxuan sat down next to Li Rong. Pei Lixian took a seat across from Li Rong while Pei Wenxuan’s mother and his grandfather sat to the left and right of them. Lady Wen’s chair was placed slightly towards the door to distinguish between her and Pei Wenxuan’s grandfather’s status, Pei Xuanqing.

This kind of occasion did not suit her, so it was clear that it made her a bit uncomfortable. Li Rong sat beside her, and while she had not done anything, Lady Wen felt an unseen oppressive aura spreading to her. She brought her eyes up and looked over at Pei Wenxuan for help, and Pei Wenxuan hurriedly said: “Mother, this is Her Highness the Princess. You don’t have to be so cautious. It’s just a family dinner today, you can just talk as usual with Her Highness.”

Lady Wen eased up a little after hearing this. Li Rong smiled but said nothing, leaving it to everyone’s open and covert scrutiny alike.

She was accustomed to these kinds of gazes, but the Pei family seemed to be overdoing it a bit. From top to bottom, even the servants of the inner courtyards came in full, squeezing in from every nook and cranny to steal a glance at Li Rong.

Pei Wenxuan was a little embarrassed. In fact, the situation in his previous life was almost no different. He remembered that Li Rong had also teased him a little about it at the time. He hastily turned his head to look outside and said in a low voice: “Have the courtyard cleared, how can anyone just come here at will?”