Chapter 28

"How do you know that we can trust them?" Mack argued.

"How do you that they can even get inside?" May glared at me from her place at the table.

"Because," I said simply, "That's what they do best."

"But that building?" Mack shook his head, and looked around at the surrounding group.

"Kayla, we trust you," Simmons started, "But... do you know how many years that building has been standing with billions upon billions of valued information, and not to mention money and jewels inside?"

"Yes," I answered, exhaling.

"Do you know how many attempts have been made to actually try to break inside?" Fitz stated his question from across the room, leaning against the wall of the jet.

"Six hundred and ninety-nine," I replied.

"And do you know how many people made it past the first wall?" Mack demanded, crossing his arms.

"None," Nico's voice was gruff. Even he doubted that the two spies could enter into the building. His answer was wrong, but I didn't correct him.

"Do you trust them?" Jase asked quietly. I blinked.

"What?"

"Do you trust them?" I exhaled through my nose. 

"Of course I don't trust them. But I've fought alongside them, been their test subject. They're good. And those two-they are some of the best. They'll get in."

"You think that two students from the Gallagher Academy, a high-ranking school for spoiled brats, are going to be able to break inside ILOC," Coulson stated. He stepped towards me. "Kayla, I did my research. They aren't trained, they aren't professionals, and they certainly aren't going to make it into that building." I set my gaze to him, but didn't reply. I couldn't say anything further without blowing apart the school's cover, and I had no intentions of doing that. 

 May sighed, "So what do we do?" The room went silent. 

"Well I don't know about you," Loki shrugged, "But if they don't make it in and aren't traced back to us, I see no reason why we shouldn't give them a chance."

"You don't have a say in this," Mack replied angrily.

"And why shouldn't I? We are both after the same thing here." My disagreement was silent, and my facial expressions remained the same, but the Frost Giant must have sensed my anger from across the room.

"Well, most of us," He muttered, his fury silent. I felt Nico's eyes turn to me, but I refused to meet them.

"This is a S.H.I.E.L.D. operation," Mack hissed, pointing to the ground for emphasis, "The last time you were here you tried to destroy this planet. You shouldn't even be on this plane, much less back on Earth!"

"Oh, you don't like that, do you?" Loki sneered back, his smirk growing. I now understood why he was known as the Norse god of mischief. He was an expert at being a pain in the rear.

"You don't like that I'm here, when I should be in jail, rotting away in the same cell you shoved me into before!" The man spat. His eyes were furious, his anger growing.

"That is enough, Brother!" Thor roared. He glared at the man.

"You have no right to keep her from me!" Loki replied, his power radiating off him like mist, "and now you can't even find her."

"We are doing our best!" Coulson argued, stepping up to him.

"Well your best isn't good enough!" Loki hissed, shoving him back, "I came to you because you are the reason that she's gone, and what do I find?" He twirled in the room, glaring at the others. "I find a silly little group of mortals floundering and flitting about like they have all the time in the world!"