Part 4: He's dangerous

It was the next day and I was with Chuck in the homestead. It was seeming to be a quiet day so I decided to spend a bit of time with Chuck. I was sat in Gally's hammock and Chuck was sat in his and we were throwing a ball between us.

"Y/N, can I ask you a question" Chuck said holding the ball still for a second.
"Of course, you can ask me anything Chuck" I said catching the ball.
"Do you think I'll ever see my parents again" he said looking down.
"Why do you ask that question Chuck?" I asked him.
"Cos, I can't even remember what they look like, even if we do get out of here, I'm not sure they will remember me" Chuck said looking down.
"I'm sure you will find them Chuck and you'll recognise them when you see them" I said.

I got up about to walk over and hug when I heard an ear piercing scream. Chuck turned with a scared look on his face.
"We're going to stay here, OK. It should be fine" I said calmingly to Chuck.

(There was a rule in the glade that me and Chuck should be kept safe if something happened. This ment that whoever was with me or Chuck had to be responsible for keeping them safe. But because me and Chuck we together, and I was older and more responsible, I made sure Chuck was OK.)

We listened and heard crys and screams again, they sounded like they were just from one person. We heard running and the boys shouting.
Suddenly Winston burst through the door "Y/N we need you now!" he sprinted away and I quickly followed.

I ran towards the group of boys. They were pinning someone to the ground. I saw Thomas looking sweaty and scared.
"Hold him down!" Alby ordered.
I reached the group and saw it was Ben. He looked ill and he was screaming and shouting on the floor.

"Y/N, what do we do" Alby said panicked. All the boys looked at me. I was scared. Really scared. I quickly analysed what was going on with Ben before realising.
"Lift up his shirt!" I ordered and one of the gladers did so. He revealed a dark purple, almost black mark on Ben's stomach. Tears filled my eyes.
"He's been stung" I said quietly but all the boys heard me.

I scanned the group to see there reaction before my eyes landed on Chuck. Fear was painted on his face.
"Chuck. Go back to the homestead now! I'll be back in a second. I promise" I told him firmly. I watched him run to the homestead.
"Take him inside" I said to Alby, guestering towards the medhut.

I watched the boys drag Ben inside while he yelled and kick trying to get free. This wasn't normal. This was terrible.

I followed the boys in shortly after. They tide Ben down to one of the beds and took of his shirt so I could see the sting. A tear fell down my cheek as I watched Ben struggle in this state.

"Y/N. Can we save him or not?" all the gladers started to shout at me and aks me questions about Ben. I started to panic and breath heavily.
I felt a warm hand on my back. It was Gally's. I didn't look over at him as Alby quickly forced him and everybody out.
"Everyone get out!" Alby shouted. Only the people that needed to stayed.

"Y/N, can we save him? Or does he have to go?" Alby asked trying to stay calm but I could hear the stress in his voice.
I didn't want to answer that question. Even though Ben had made a pass at me a few weeks ago he was still a glader. He was runner and friends with Mihno and now I had to deside whether or not we were going to let him die.

Tears were rolling down my face and my body was shaking in fear.
"I can't" I quietly said between cries. "I can't do it! I can't do it! I can't be the person to decide whether he dies or not. I can't!" I sobbed and Alby held my arm.
"I know Y/N, I'm sorry. But your the only one who knows", Alby begun, "all you have to do I nod or shake your head. Then you parts done, OK." he continued softly. "Can we save him?" Alby asked. Everyone went silent except for Ben. "No! No! No! You can't put me in there! You can't do this Y/N! You can't!" he shouted, struggling against his ties.
I looked up at Alby and shook my head no. Alby looked down.
"Ok. Y/N go outside for a minute, gets some air, and then we'll sort it out" Alby said calmy but his voice had a twinge of sadness.

I walked outside. My vison was blurd from crying and the only thing I could here was Ben's screaming. I felt a hand slide into mine. I looked over to see who it was, it wasn't the person I expected but it was the person I needed. Mihno. He walked me to watch tower pushing past anyone that tried to talk to me or get in my way. They were only concerned for their friend but I couldn't be the one to tell them.

Mihno helped me up the stairs and we sat looking out at the glade.
"You had to do it. It was the only option" Mihno said breaking the silence between us, Ben's screams could still be heard in the background.
"How do you know what I said?" I whispered after a moment.
"That was the only option. We could see what happened but we just need you to say for definite" Mihno said softly.
"It doesn't feel right" I lightly sobbed looking up at him for the first time. He had a tear in his eye. He put his arms around me and held onto me a while.
"I know, but it is right. You had to" he said holding me tighter.

I stayed with Mihno for a while we hugged. I know that I had no choice but it doesn't make it any easier.
"They'll be telling us the plan soon, we should probably go" Mihno said pulling.
"You go, I'm going to check on Chuck" I said following Mihno down the ladder. We got to the bottom and I looked back at Mihno "I can't be there, but please tell me what Alby says". He nodded and smiled at me before walking me to the homestead.

I slowly opened the door to the homestead and saw Chuck laying facing away form me in his hammock.
"Chuck, it's me" I said moving closer to him. I could here his sobs louder the closer I got to him.
He sat up in his hammock and I got in the other side. I reached forward and took his hand in mine.
"It's OK, I'm here" I said trying to stay as calm as possible.
"What was wrong with him?" Chuck asked.
"He was stung by a greiver" I sighed "which means that he is going to become very dangerous" I said honestly.
"Has he hurt anyone?" Chuck asked.
"He nearly hurt Thomas but everyone was there to help" I said.
"Is he going to hurt anyone else?" Chuck looked up at me. His eyes were red and puffy.
"No" I responded.
"How do you know, what if he hurts someone?" Chuck asked.
"We are making sure that's not going happen Chuck" I said fighting to hold back tears.
"How?" He asked confused.
"We have to send him into the maze, at night. We have to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone else" I said, a single gear falling down my cheek.
"Can't you make him better" Chuck pleaded, his face red and wet with tears.
"I'm sorry Chuck but there's nothing I can do. He's too dangerous" I said leaning forwards to hug Chuck. He accepted and grabbed me tightly.

~~~

Everyone was gathered by the maze doors. The sun was setting and the doors were about to close. The boys had sticks with ready to push Ben inside. Chuck and I stood to the side. He hugged my waist tight and I held onto him.

Mihno held Ben's arms behind his back walking him toward the rest of the boys by the doors.
"You can't do this!" Ben screamed "you can't do this to me" he screamed looking at me. I held back my tears, I didn't want him to know that I was sad about this. Mihno tossed a bag into the maze before grabbing a stick.

I heard a familiar grumbling noise as the maze doors began to churn close. The boys began to sweep Ben into the maze. His screams were loud and horrible to listen to. Chuck turned into me but I carried on watching. I watched Ben. I kept my eyes fixed on his eyes. I didn't take my eyes of his till the doors growled to a stop and silence finally filled the glade.

Gally's POV:

A cloud of sadness filled the glade. I turned around and saw Y/N hugging Chuck. I desperately wanted to hug her, hold her tight and not let her go untill she was feeling better, but I couldn't. We agreed to keep our relationship secret and now would be the worst time to change that. Besides, Mihno was the person she needed right now.