Six

SIX

The local news had given the high schools something new to stare at Olivia about. She knew that most of the small town's kids were familiar with her home, seeing their parents drive by many a time to verify that her mother had not passed as of yet. Now with the exterior of her home a familiar backdrop for the frequent news updates, the normal whispering had increased in volume as she walked by.

She took comfort that the screeching whispers were now centered on another person's family versus hers.

"My mother said she was a drunk in high school, said it was only a matter of time before she killed someone."

"I heard she already did kill someone, said her brother died while she was driving."

"I saw that on the news, my mom said she survived despite the fact that her brother was so mangled they couldn't even have an open casket."

"I don't think they can have an open casket for that little girl either. From what my dad says that lady hit her so hard she hit Olivia McEnroe's front step."

The slow shift of eyesight from the talkative group in Olivia's direction was not lost on her. She could feel their gaze boring into her head as much as their words stung her conscience. She knew that the whole town had tried and convicted Cara Bronaugh by now, yet she was the only one that knew they were wrong.

She made her way hastily from her final class out the iron fence gates, hoping that she could avoid any more overheard conversations on the topic of Abigail. The sidewalk looped blindly onto the intersection, causing her to walk right into the black and white vehicle blocking her path.

"Olivia!" Rory stood calmly leaning against the hood, his hand wave the only indication he had planned her arrival.

She stopped, unsure of the protocol that was allowed of an innocent person. She knew if she ran he would know, but she wasn't sure he didn't already have her all figured out. She struggled dramatically with her backpack for a moment in hopes that he would see her need to leave.

"Olivia, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"I thought that sergeant said we couldn't talk alone."

"Actually I can't question you, which I don't intend to do I promise." Rory offered his hands innocently. "I just thought you had a minute to talk."

"You're a little old for me aren't you?"

She was taken back when he released a loud laugh. "I assure you, it's not like that. I was just concerned about you."

"Well thanks but I actually really need to get home."

"How about I give you a lift then?"

The rookie made his way over the passenger door and extended Olivia a hand. She stood for a moment, her eyes shifting from the clear sidewalk back to the ominous vehicle. Before Rory could read too much into her hesitation Olivia shrugged and threw her backpack in the car.

"Okay I guess."

The rookie smiled and despite his stated intentions Olivia wondered what he intended.

He closed the door or her and stepped over to his driver's side, his hand firmly on his shoulder radio as he updated the dispatcher of Olivia's presence. She caught the tail end of his transmission he entered the car.

The first minutes passed by silently as she took in the interior of the police car. She had never been in one before, always considering the possibility that it would come with the devastating news she was dreading to hear.