seven

Seven

If Janine was concerned about what she had seen, she gave no indication when Olivia walked in the door. Her standard smile was plastered on her face as she descended from a fragrant kitchen.

"How was school Oli?"

"Good."

"How did swim practice go?"

Olivia paused for a moment, her mind searching for the lie she was sure she had already contrived prior regarding the after school antics. "Um..."

"Still don't have the pool clean then?"

"Yeah, going to take a few days they said. Sorry if I didn't mention that before."

"I think you might have before, maybe you just didn't recall what you had said."

Olivia froze for a moment, wondering if Janine's words were more a statement than the slight accusation the tone had implied. Her stress deterred her from seeking the conversation. "How did mom do today?"

Janine shook her head as her smile returned. "Your mom is a fighter that's for sure. She had a bit of a harder day today, can't seem to really recall the last few days. She's been glued to that TV all day watching the news. Think it got her a bit upset until I convinced her to turn it off."

"Why would she be upset?" Olivia followed Janine into the kitchen, the pots and pans whistling with pending dinner.

"Seeing those images of that poor girl on TV, it happening so close to home, I think it just has your mom all worked up comparing it to you. You know how she takes every thing to heart."

"I didn't know it affected her that much." She watched as Janine slowly stirred the soup pot meticulously.

"The news are making the story quite a page turner with all the information filtering out. The town wants to see the driver hanged apparently."

"So they are convinced they have the right person then?"

Janine's hand stopped mid turn, the ladle vibrating ever so slightly to match the fear that had darkened her face. "Why would they have a doubt? By the news reports it seems she was found in the act. Do you know something different?"  

The tension in the room coursed it's way through Olivia, and for a moment she wondered if she should just tell Janine the truth, let her know she had bared witness, in hopes that her mother's friend would take it upon herself to turn herself in and free Olivia from the overwhelming guilt. But the silence only lasted long enough for Olivia to open her mouth before she heard cries from her mother's room.

"Olivia! Janine! Come look!"

"Sounds like your mother woke up, and judging by the urgency in her voice she turned back on the TV. You better scuttle up there and see what she needs. I'll finish dinner for you two." A quick smile was offered along with her words, but Olivia could tell Janine was straining to maintain the appearance.

Olivia nodded her head and made her way up the stairs quickly, the sound of the electronic noise increasing as she made her way down the upstairs hall. Janine's observation had been right, her mother was glued to the updates progressing from the news program, updates Olivia alone knew were bedded in a lie.

"What's wrong mom?"

"The Callaghan's are on TV."

Olivia turned her attention towards the news conference apparently taking place directly across the street. Mrs. Callaghan pleaded for justice in somber black while she fingered a rosary of exceptional proportions, her face and hair perfectly coifed while her mascara ran dramatically down her face.