The Wrongs of The Right

Prologue

It had taken years for Olivia to gather the courage to visit, and yet her fear had not subsided a bit since the day it had all began.

As she walked underneath the sign, she glanced up to verify she was in the right place, more out of habit than need.

'Brawley County Womens Penitentiary'

The sign loomed over the visitors, but only Olivia took a moment to take in the sight. She felt the rush of people as they made their way through the guards, lifting their arms and opening their packages in trained response.

She stopped at the next open guard and followed response, lifting her arms as they waved a beeping wand around her outer parts. A small succession of sound alerted the female to something in Olivia's pocket, to which she quickly complied by pulling out a stray dime.

"You may pass." The officer waived her on, already prepping for the next subject.

She was ushered past a male arguing with one of the officers, into the hallway and away from where any outside light could penetrate.

"Name."

"Olivia McEnroe."

The glass muffled the questioning officers voice, causing Olivia to lean in to understand. She watched as the uniform clad male haphazardly wrote her name down on a list.

"Are you carrying any weapons, drugs or paraphernalia on behalf or for an inmate of the penitentiary Miss McEnroe?"

"No."

"Were you asked to bring in any weapons, drugs or paraphernalia for any inmate of the penitentiary Miss McEnroe?"

"No."

"You are free to proceed, visiting areas are to your right, follow the officers instructions specifically or you will be asked to leave."

Olivia nodded her head and moved towards the next looming hallway, following the next uniform she saw.

The noises that echoed through the hallway were haunting, sounds of humans entrapped without hope of any future normal life. Scarce light skulking it's way through, while drab covered officers stood, unsmiling and armed, trapped in the hopelessness of it all as well.

The years of guilt rode their way to her throat, as she sat down in front of a thick window, blocking any human contact from the inmates within. the guard guided her to the phone and instructed her to wait five minutes, and then she would be free to speak.

Olivia nodded and watched as he informed a colleague via handset that she was ready. Olivia turned and faced the bars, her palms thick with sweat.

This is what was owed, this is what she needed to clear from her conscious, it had been years, and Olivia was here to put to rest the turmoil of her decisions.

As the inmate made her way up to the window, her orange jumpsuit crumpled as if she had just fished it out of the laundry. Olivia could tell by her gait that she was not looking forward to the conversation anymore than Olivia was, and for a second Olivia considered leaving.

But she waited instead, waited till the inmate sat down, her face aged decades since that day. Olivia picked up the phone and waited till she had done the same.

Olivia gripped the phone tightly, breathing into the receiver till she found words.

"Hello, I came to talk about that day..."