Chapter 12: Apologies and Confessions

——————————🕯——————————

"Why would embracing Isabela do anything?" Mateus scoffed.

He, Bruno and (Y/n) were looking at Isabela's door from the railing.

"I don't know. Our family got a miracle. How do you help a family miracle? You hug a sister." Bruno said.

"Sounds like solid logic to me." (Y/n) shrugged.

"Mateus? Mateus?" Camilo called, before his shapeshifting glitched and he turned into a baby with an adult body. "Mateus!" He called in a high pitched voice.

"Well, I think we're running out of time here." Bruno observed.

"It's not gonna work. She won't hug me ever, okay? She hates me! Also, I don't now if you heard, I ruined her proposal!"

"Mateus." Bruno whispered.

"Plus, P.S...she is just annoying. Of course it's Isabela. Why couldn't it have been you (Y/n)? That would've been easy."

"Mateus."

"What's her problem with me anyway? She's the one with roses coming out of her..."

"Mateus!" Bruno said loudly.

The two looked at him with shock.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry. You see, you're missing the point. The fate of the family, it's not up to her. It's up to you. You're exactly what this family needs. You just have to see it."

Mateus smiled at his uncle.

"By yourself, after I leave." He suddenly said, hiding behind a potted plant, and dragging it with him to the painting.

"You're not coming?" (Y/n) asked.

"It was your vision Mateus. Not mine." He said in a deep voice.

"You're afraid Abuela will see you." He accused.

"Yep. I mean, yes, that too." He opened up the painting that led inside the walls. "Hey, after you guys save the miracle, come visit."

"After we save the miracle, I'm bringing you home." Mateus promised.

"Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock. Knock on wood." Bruno knocked on the wooden frame, before disappearing in the walls.

"Your uncle is a weird guy." (Y/n) told him.

"Yeah." He nodded.

"Do you want me to come with you to talk to Isabela?"

Mateus grabbed her hands in his. "Please!" He begged.

The two stood in front of Isabela's door.

"You got this. Just gonna save a miracle. With a hug." Mateus told himself.

(Y/n) grabbed his hand and gave him a reassuring smile. He smiled back.

...

Mateus entered Isabela's room, with (Y/n) right behind him.

"Isa? Heeeey!" He called awkwardly. "I know we've had our issues, but I'm...ready to be a better brother...to you. So we should just...hug. Let's hug it out, huh?"

(Y/n) tried to suppress her giggles at Mateus's weird speech, before she noticed some vines lowering down her bed.

"'Hug it out?'" Isabela was sitting in her bed as it was lowered down. "Luisa can't lift an empanada." She plucked a flower from one of the vines. "Mariano's nose looks like a smashed papaya!" She crushed the flower in her hands. "Have you lost your mind?" She screeched.

Mateus smacked his lips. "Isa, I feel like your upset. And you know what cures being upset? A warm embrace." He tried to approach her bed, but vines appeared in front of him blocking his path.

"Get out." She demanded. And a flower appeared over Mateus's mouth. "Everything was perfect. Abuela was happy. The family was happy. You wanna be a better brother? Apologize for ruining my life."

"Isa, come on. Is that really necessary?" (Y/n) asked.

Mateus narrowed his eyes at her.

She ignored her. "Go on. Apologize." She said mockingly.

Mateus used all his will power to swallow his pride and force out an apology. "I...am...sorry..." He choked out.

Isabela looked down at him smugly.

"...That your life is so great!" He added.

"Out." She dismissed him with a wave of her hand and the vines started dragging him away.

"Isa!" (Y/n) yelled at her, grabbing Mateus's hand trying to pull him out of the vines grasp.

"Wait! Fine! I apologize!" Mateus bumped into a lot of roses and latched onto it. "I wasn't trying to ruin your life!"

(Y/n) managed to pull him out of the vines, and he stood up and tried to walk back, but the vines grabbed his ankles and started pulling him back.

"Some of us have bigger problems, you selfish...entitled princess!" He yelled at her.

"Selfish?" Isabela gasped. "I've been stuck being perfect my whole entire life! And literally, the only thing you have ever done for me is mess things up!" She screamed at him.

"Isa, please! Give him a chance. He's really trying!" (Y/n) pleaded, trying to untangle Mateus.

"Why do you always defend him? All he's done is drag you into his messes!" Isa said.

"I wanted to help him voluntarily. And it's not like he does these things on purpose!" She argued.

"Yeah! And nothing is messed up! You can still marry that big dumb hunk!" Mateus told her.

"I never wanted to marry him! I was doing it for the family!" Isa confessed.

POP!

——————————🕯——————————