Chapter 24

Princess Genevieve Hart
Age: 25

*°*

I woke up the next day in a happy mood. The sun was shining, the birds were singing-well I didn't know if they were or not, but I could pretend it was the Disney type of morning-and all felt right with the world.

Today, I'd be formally introduced to the world as Ashton's betrothed and, in a few more weeks, his fiancée. Being ordained to marry the crown prince of the famed Crysauralian Empire was a pretty big deal but all the worries and fears I'd had yesterday had slowly melted away.

Perhaps it was the sugar rush from all the cupcakes Ashton and I had eaten last night, but I felt energized and refreshed. The first order of business was a pre-conference where I'd meet to discuss a few things about the charity gala and then after that I'd meet Ashton and we'd attend the conference together and the announcement would be made.

The prime minster had already been given a heads up about the announcement and surprise, surprise, he was furious that the imperial family was still continuing with Ashton as the heir to the empire. He wanted CaVaughn to rule for no other reason than to oppose the family's decision. As much as he clashed with the imperial royal family, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased that Emperor Caden hadn't killed him. The thought made me shudder. Not killing someone was the normal and right thing to do, but Emperor Caden didn't usually choose the morally correct route when he wanted to accomplish something.

I had breakfast in my room and finished getting dressed by eight-thirty. After the official conference, there would be an interview and then I had the medical exam in the evening. Tonight, I had a suit fitting with Alexandre and a lesson in Empire History-yes, the class now included every kingdom in the empire which bumped up the difficulty level-where I would be learning more about the customs of the royals from over a hundred years ago. Then, I had classes in ancient Crysauralian because apparently the world would implode if I didn't learn how to speak a language that no average person in the empire could understand. After that, would be a meeting with Empress Arabella, a report session with my bodyguards and then bed.

Ashton met me downstairs for a kiss and words of encouragement. I was glad to have someone by my side to reassure me that it would all be okay. Soon it was time to leave. Garrett was already waiting for me by the door and he was... glaring at me?

"Good morning, Elizabeth."

I spun around to see Violet coming into the room. "Good morning," I responded. "We were just about to leave. Is everything alright?"

I waited for her response. Here was where I'd get the result of my test. If she was coming with us, then I couldn't trust her with my secrets.

"There's been a slight adjustment in your schedule and I've been instructed to travel with you and Garrett. I'll only be a shadow, so you two will drive together. I'll bring up the rear and monitor for any signs of danger."

There it was. She'd failed my test. But why did she fail? I had to be one hundred percent sure. Time for the extra test I'd prepared in case of this outcome.

"These are for you," I said, extending a bouquet to her. "A little something to brighten your morning. I arranged them myself this morning."

"They're lovely." She smiled, then took a step back. "I love the violets, but I'm afraid I'm allergic to those golden flowers."

So that was why she'd failed... I plastered on a smile and nodded. "Shall we go now?"

"Yes." She turned to Garrett with a forced smile. "Drive safely and stay in sight. No detours are necessary on this route."