Chapter 61

Crysauralia might be too far gone to be saved.

***

A/N: The dialogue in italics is being spoken in Japanese. I wrote it in English to make it easier for you to read <3

***

No... what was I thinking?

We had already come so far. I couldn't afford to have such negative thoughts and give up on Crysauralia. Luca and Malekh might be right about the current state of Crysauralia, but that could change. We could change it.

The empire was our future, and many people were depending on us to fix the way things were. That was why we were here in Lydia—to get strong enough to face anyone who wanted to stand in the way of peace.

***

"What's your next move?" Jun asked cautiously as he stared at his brother. "The prinarch sent you here to capture us, didn't he? There's no way you can go back empty-handed."

"I've already found you, so I'm not going back to the prinarch. The orders were to bring back you and the DeLorentes heir. Everyone else accompanying you was to be killed immediately."

"So, you're deserting X?"

"I never belonged there in the first place." He scowled. "The Crysauralians stole us from our family! Just being around them makes me sick," he spat. "Let's go back to our home, Jun. Together."

Jun's gaze raked over all of us. "I won't do that. We're on the brink of war. My place is with them."

"Your place is with your own people," Kiyoshi growled. He shot a glare in our direction. "I couldn't care less about that man's son and his soulmate! I've fought for the kings all my life and I refuse to serve another one."

"No-one is asking you to do anything," Jun answered. "And they're my friends. I don't need any other reason to fight for them."

"There you go again with that f*cking friendship bullsh*t." Kiyoshi scoffed. "They're your family now, huh?"

Jun didn't answer. His silence was response enough for Kiyoshi, who let out a bitter laugh as he glared at us with a vengeance.

"I just told you what he did to our parents and our brother. Did you swear away all loyalty to your family? You've spent your whole life serving the king and now you're planning to serve to his son?! What next, will you bow to his future grandson, too?"

"It's none of your business what I do," Jun dismissed. "The next king will be different. Prince Ashton won't make the same mistakes that his father did."

"You can't be serious." Kiyoshi stared at Jun in sheer disbelief. "You're choosing them?"

"Let's finish this conversation inside," I suggested.

Whether we trusted Kiyoshi or not, it wouldn't be wise for us to all congregate outside. We should be safe in Lydia, but danger had a way of sticking to our heels and following us wherever we went. Besides, we had to consider the fact that Kiyoshi might not be alone.

Jun cocked his head toward the door, but Kiyoshi stood firmly in place. "You won't like what will happen if I go near those DeLorentes'."

'We'll head inside first, then. Will you be okay alone with him?' I mind-linked Jun, and he nodded.

We were still on high alert because of K, but Jun would be able to handle him on his own. Besides, K seemed to have no intention of hurting his brother.