Chapter 42

Elizabeth's POV

I could smell the smoke. I could hear the crackling of the fire. I could see Luca as he stormed over to me, the hot sparks still spreading out around him and setting everything in the room on fire.

"You're safe now."

*°*

The entire room seemed to glow and pulsate with a sweltering heat as the force of Luca's unique ability radiated off the thick walls. His presence saturated the large lab until it felt like little more than a broom closet.

Luca was here. He was really here. I breathed a sigh of relief.

He turned in my direction, the unfiltered wrath that engulfed his eyes still burning as hot as before, and then he came towards me. His eyes swept over me, carefully assessing my condition as I struggled to get to my feet.

It wasn't safe here, even more so because of his sudden appearance. Surely, some guards would be alerted to his presence soon.

"Elizabeth." His voice was a hoarse whisper as he stood before me. His powerful arms reached out to help me stand and continued steadying me as I swayed, still lightheaded from the Nightshade poisoning and blood loss. "You're safe." He repeated, more to himself this time.

His expression relaxed for a moment-just a moment-as the anger flickered to concern. Then, the sizzling rage returned. No doubt I looked as awful as I felt. Thankfully, I didn't think I'd broken anything, but the pain in my back and the stinging sensations along my face and arms told tales of the cuts and bruises I'd accrued from Red.

Luca's arm compassed my waist and his voice was surprisingly gentle as he spoke. "We're leaving this place."

The vehemence that accompanied his mention of the Origen Association was clear. I wasn't sure which one of the OAs had kept him captive all those years ago, but he no doubt viewed them all as the same.

I took the first step and winced, drawing in a short breath as the pain hugged my body more intensely than it had just a few seconds ago. My knees protested against the movement of my limbs and a stabbing sensation overtook my lower back, spreading out to my upper back in droves. Luca's eyes immediately darted to me, and I tried to conceal the pain I was feeling.

Escaping wouldn't be easy, and I didn't want his mind to be distracted by me. I could endure this. I had to, for the sake of us getting out of this prison alive.

His gaze lingered on me for a second too long, and a muscle clenched in his jaw as the rage burned once more. He had seen me wince and knew that I was in more pain than I was letting on.

"I'm fine." I managed a lie, but the breathlessness of my voice betrayed me and didn't do much to convince him otherwise.

"No, you're not."

To my surprise, he gently lowered me back to sit on the table. I stared at him, my expression reminding him that we didn't have much time to get out of here. But he already knew that... so why?

"Where does it hurt?" he asked.

"I'll be fine," I protested. "We need to get out of here."

"You won't be able to make it out like this," he murmured as he examined my throat. No doubt the area where Red had held me was beginning to bruise. "Once we leave this room, it will only get more dangerous."

"We don't have time to worry about me," I mumbled, staring at the ground and resenting myself for being so weak at a time like this.

"Tell me, where are you feeling pain?" Luca pressed again.