Chapter 13

Levi came home from work a little earlier than usual. I was in the kitchen preparing dinner, Declan sitting at the island with his coloring book and a couple of crayons in front of him.

He nearly lunged from his chair when he saw his father, a wide smile on his face as ran to hug and greet him.

"Hey bud!" Levi greeted back, bending down to embrace his son. Dropping his work bag and suit jacket, he picked Declan up and carried him back into the kitchen. "Smells good in here. What are you making?"

Setting Declan down, he walked up to me to lean over and look down in the pot. He nodded in approval, rubbing his grumbling stomach.

"Looks good."

"Dinner's almost ready. I'm just waiting for the breadsticks to be done."

Nodding once more, he turned to go grab his belongings. "I'm going to go take a shower. I'll be back down in a bit."

While he left to go shower, I finished getting dinner ready. Once my bread was done, I used an oven mitt to retrieve them from the oven and set the pan of freshly baked breadsticks on top of the stove.

Removing the oven mitts and setting it aside, I had Declan help me set the table. We always sit at the Island whenever we eat, so I thought it would be a good idea to use the dining table instead.

High-fiving Declan after we finished, we sat down at the table and waited for Levi to return.

When he finally returned, he was no longer wearing his usual get-up, but a pair of light blue pajama pants with sea turtles on them and a solid white tee.

I smiled, finding it adorable that he wanted to match with Declan, who was wearing the same top and pants.

Taking the open seat beside me, Levi's knee brushed my own under the table. Gasping at the unexpected contact, my knee jerked up, hitting the table with an abrupt thud.

I rubbed my bruised knee, embarrassed as Levi and Declan stopped what they were doing to look at me.

"Are you okay?" Levi asked, concern flaring in his pretty emerald green eyes.

"Yeah," I responded softly, still rubbing my throbbing knee.

Levi noticed the way my nose crinkled in discomfort. "Let me see." Patting his lap, I hesitantly placed my leg on his lap. His fingers gently touched my ankles, his hands traveling up the length of my leg and stopping at my knee.

I bit my lip, feeling a throbbing sensation in between my slightly spread legs.

"Tell me where it hurts." He spoke in a soft and gentle tone, using the same soothing voice he uses with Declan, as he lightly felt and pressed on parts of my knee with the tips of his fingers.

I ended up letting a moan slip when he touched the spot that was causing me the most pain, something hard suddenly pressing against the side of my leg.

I yanked my leg back when I realized what it was, my heart racing as I squirmed in my seat. "I'll be fine. Thank you," I said quickly, blushing.

Levi simply smirked, taking his fork and continuing to eat his Spaghetti. While I on the other hand had lost my appetite entirely.

I pushed the food on my plate around with my fork, occasionally eating some of my salad or nibbling on my breadstick.

Allowing the awkward silence to continue settling between us, I waited until Declan was finished eating before standing up and taking both of our plates into the kitchen.

I was scrubbing the pasta sauce residue off my plate with a soapy sponge when I felt Levi brush up against me from behind.

"Excuse me," he said, reaching over me to put his finished plate in the sink. My breathing gave me away, Levi lightly skating his hand over the small of my back before he backed away. "Am I making you nervous?"