Chapter 30

Levi's POV
"So tell me, how are things now that Laurel is back in the house?"

I shifted in my seat, adjusting the sudden tightness in my pants as I thought about Laurel. "Fantastic."

"But?" Dr. Riley questioned with an arched brow.

"There's no but, doc. Everything is perfect."

"You're holding back, Levi. I can't help you if you aren't being honest with me."

"Fine. It's too perfect."

He started scribbling in the leathered notebook on his lap. "And what's wrong with that?"

"Nothing. I'm just waiting for something bad to happen."

He didn't look up. "Like what?"

I shrugged. "Everything?"

Finishing whatever he was writing down, he looked up. "And have you talked to Laurel about this?"

I shook my head. "No." I just got her back and didn't want to worry her with my constant overthinking. She's so happy right now and I just really don't want to ruin that.

He started scribbling in his notepad once more. I tried to lean forward, so I could see what he was writing about me, but had no such luck.

"I hear Declan's talking more," he said, changing the subject. "His speech therapist also told me he's starting to read."

I couldn't hide the light in my eyes. I was so proud of my baby boy. "Yeah, he is. He read me a story last night."

"And how does that make you feel, seeing his progression?"

"Proud as hell," I said without a second thought.

"Mm," he hummed, clicking his pen to write again. "It seems you have no issue expressing your feelings when it comes to your son. Why is that?"

"Because I wasn't abandoned by my son," I answered truthfully.

"You weren't abandoned by Laurel either. As I recall, it was you who pushed her away. Thus, abandoning her."

I clenched and unclenched my hand, starting to become agitated with this topic. "I don't want to talk about Laurel anymore."

"I have one last question before our session ends." I glared at him, tempted to walk away. I ended up staying seated, the urge to hear what he had to say stronger than my want to leave.  After all, I did pay him to help me and Declan. "How many times a day do you and Laurel have sex?"

My brow raised, as I was curious to know what our sex life had to do with my refusal to talk about her during my sessions.

"I don't know. Four, maybe more. I don't keep count. Why?" Watching him write in his notepad again, I anxiously shifted in my seat once more.

"And how many times a day do you talk?"

"There usually isn't much talking going on, doc," I replied, a smirk tugging at my lips. "Unless dirty talk counts," I added.

He shook his head. "No, it doesn't." The smirk on my face faltered. "Now I'm glad you're having a healthy amount of sex, but you two need to verbally communicate more. There is still so much she doesn't know about you."

"What are you trying to say, doc?"

"I think it's time you fully open yourself up to her. To really get deep with one another."

"How?"

"Your parents are still here, right?"

"Yes, why?"

"Introduce her. Let her get to know the parents of the man she gave her heart to."

****

Laurel's POV
I smiled and inhaled the sweet scent of the rose bouquet in my hands. Thanking the mailman, I closed the door and headed back into the kitchen.

"Those better be from Levi," Ivy said, watching me grab a vase to put the flowers in.

She's been team Levi ever since the day he and I met. Which is why she wasn't very happy when I told her that I had befriended Zack.

"They are. He gifts me with a fresh bouquet of roses every week."

I pulled out the little white card, epxecting it to contain his usual sweet messages. But instead it read:

"We are having dinner with my parents tonight. Shopping is on me."

Setting the card down, I was about to call him when his name popped up on my screen.

I held the phone up to my ear, his voice causing my heart to leap with joy in my chest. "Did you get my flowers?"

"I did. They're beautiful. Thank you." I glanced down at the card. "I didn't know your parents were here."

"Yeah. They just got here."

"Do they know about us?"

"Yes and no."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Silence.

"Levi?"

I'm met with more silence.

Sighing, I take his silence as an indication that he no longer wants to talk about this. So instead of trying to pry it out of him, I decide to give him his space.

"We can talk about this later, okay?"

"I'll see you tonight." He hangs up before I can get another word in.

Looking over at Ivy, she's giving me a concerned look. "What was that all about?"

"I don't know. He's seems more closed off than before."

"Have you spoken to him about it?"

"I've tried, but he always changes the subject."

Tossing the card into the trash, I scroll through the contacts in my phone. My finger lingers over Dr. Riley's number. He gave me his number weeks ago, but I never took him up on his offer.

"I think I'm going to schedule an appointment with Levi and Declan's therapist tomorrow."

"It's not like he can tell you what he and Levi discuss in their sessions."

"I know. But maybe he can help me communicate with him better."

"True," Ivy said with a nod. "But you can worry about that later. Right now, we need to go find you a dress for tonight."

"Shit, you're right." It didn't really hit me that I was going to meet Levi's parents until now. My hands grew clammy, my mind racing.

I don't know what Levi has told his parents about me. He may have introduced me as his son's former Nanny and his current girlfriend. Or maybe they only know me as the Nanny. I have no idea.

That voice in my head contiunes to whisper worrisome thoughts into my ear. Nervously chewing my lip, I try to shake the overwhelming thoughts from my mind.

Just when I begin to feel my brain relax, I am ambushed with the worst thought of all.

What if they don't like me?