9. Formosus

May 22, 896 AD | Pope Formosus was the Bishop of Rome for some years. That was a long while ago. This Pope had a troublesome reign as the "Vicar of Christ", as the Popes have enjoyed being called.

This Pope, Formosus, was unanimously voted to be the Pope on October 6, 891 in the year of our Lord. He is among the first Popes to wear a Papal tiara—since Nicholas I.

This Pope, Formosus, had to get into politics—as the Popes often did—and finally chose to turn against Italy's emperor, Guy III. Guy III died in December of 894, and the following February an ally of the Pope, named Arnulf of Carinthia, came to take away the city of Rome from Guy's successor, who had the Pope captive for refusing to recognize his authority. Arnulf had failed once, but he won out this time.

That was February 21st. While Arnulf was marching through the Milvian Bridge, which crosses the Tiber River and into the city, he was greeted by some important officials of the Roman city. They led him to the Holy Apostles' Church.

On February 22nd, in the Saint Peter's Church, Formosus, in all pomp, proclaimed, anointed, and crowned Arnulf the new Holy Roman Emperor! "Augustus," Formosus said. The people cheered.

Arnulf, this beardless Emperor, would reign for another three years. He is now ill and can only rule Italian lands.

Formosus died on April the 4th, 896.

Amid chaos about the death of Formosus, the election of Boniface VI came around. Boniface VI is now the new Pope. He would only rule for 15 days.[During a synod in Rome in 898 AD, Pope John IX pronounced the election of Boniface VI null and void.] How he died is still under dispute. Some say it was only gout, but others think this was no accident. He was removed for the election of another pope: Stephen VI.

Stephen VI, made pope on the 22nd of May, has so much hatred for Pope Formosus. Stephen was born in Rome; his father was a priest called John. He did not seek to be a bishop, but Formosus had to force him to be the bishop anyway!

Stephen would never forgive him for that.

But Stephen is only the pope now because he was sponsored by the dukes of Spoleto, of his people. Now Stephen is forcing some bishops accepted by Formosus to resign. It is working out.

His loyalties are divided. He was for Arnulf, but then switches loyalties to Lambert (who was crowned by Formosus), and to Lambert's mother. Guy IV, emperor of Italy, is also in Rome.

Some abhor Formosus for his inconsistency in politics, and Stephen VI is urged to do something for them. Against Formosus.

+

Formosus had a bad reputation already, even before he was the Pope. In 864, he began to be the bishop of Porto-Santa Rufina. He did so well in his missionary trip in Bulgaria that Boris-Michael, ruler of Bulgaria, asked Pope Nicholas I if Formosus could be made an archbishop in Bulgaria.

Nicholas refused. The Church already agreed not to let one man be the bishop of two sees, in order to prevent bishops from producing their own small fiefdoms. Formosus was already bishop of Porto; he can't also be an archbishop over a whole territory!

Formosus steeled clear of Rome when Pope John VIII came around, who accused Formosus of trying to gain support to become bishop of the Bulgarians as well as the bishop of Porto-Santa Rufina! So Formosus was excommunicated with his associates. He was no longer bishop of Porto-Santa Refina!

But Formosus returned to his bishopric at Porto upon the murder of John VIII late in 882 AD. He would then become the Bishop of Rome in 891.

+