001 | Paint

POLICE were flooding the streets, blocking off any entrances and exits, and any crowds-person who dared get any closer, as they begged to get the latest inside scoop. News reporters snapped pictures and video feed from out of helicopters, streaming the whole thing live for the people at home. Red and blue bounced off the walls and pavement, painting the otherwise chilly afternoon in an Azul and Rojo ambience, and multiple squad cars stayed posted up on the end of every blocks and street under specific orders from their superiors that a possibly dangerous individual could still be walking around.

Media was buzzing after the latest PH4NT0M message. He had set fire to a building where a jury counseled meeting was supposed to be held, and graffiti'd multiple Government employee vehicles with thick letters that spelled out the bold words, 'WDTBH'

We deserve to be heard

His signature slogan -- and as if that wasn't enough, the errant had snapped a picture of it to later post on his Instagram and taunt cops, and then laid-set a C-4 at the bottom of both cars, and blew them to pieces. All bits of evidence that remained of his presence, disintegrated in the fiery hole of flames and ash that engulfed it in. All that was left behind were empty cans of red, yellow and purple spray-paint.

PH4NT0M never left any DNA behind, he was smarter than that. Than them. So. the cans were pretty much useless in their case. They couldn't use it to incriminate the guy, unless they collected it at evidence and used it to build up a bigger case against him.

He enjoyed toying with them, so they wouldn't be surprised for a second if he left it behind just because he didn't feel like disposing of it.

A particularly well-known officer around the force, slipped off his plastic gloves. Sending it off with a Q-tip to somebody else. ''Have it sent off too to the labs for sampling,''

''Is there DNA on it?'' Another officer, with pretty hazel-eyes to compliment his darker complexion and full-beard, Gillian Daniels asked cluelessly, glancing in the direction he had sent the other individual off too.

''Well, unless I happen to have microscopic eyes, we won't know until the results get back, genius.'' Officer Shaw answered in the same manner the question was asked, eyes narrowed in inquiry, and face blank.

A third officer, Lewis Fowler with the military cut, and classical dad bod bulging through his uniform, after his heavy lunch.

He was probably the one behind the toilet splat incident. ''You think we have enough evidence to incriminate the sicko behind all this?''

''Evidence?'' Daniels scoffed, pulling out his cell-phone. ''We have more than enough evidence to incriminate this guy, he practically flaunts it on his Instagram!''

Shaw squinted at the screen, before pulling out his own phone to analyze it more clearly. Seeing PH4NT0M's newest artistical creation, captioned with the words 'Gave 'em a free paint job, and received the whole police station as a thanks,'

Followed by the tags, 'Eff the police!' and 'When you throw a party, and everyone you hate shows up.'

He was toying with them.

Daniels growled. ''Ooh, I can't wait until we have that 'mofo in our hands. I'm gonna beat him to the very pulp, for making the last three years of my life a living, breathing, hell, alongside my wife.''

''Careful there, Daniels.'' Fowler laughed. ''Don't wanna catch a charge yourself. You wouldn't last a day in prison.''

''Yeah, okay, white boy, you gon' be somebody's wife in there.''

Officer Shaw left the two of them to bicker in the background, as he approached the familiar face getting lost in the crowd.

''Lieutenant.'' He nodded.

''Shaw,'' The older gentleman greeted gruffly, greying brows that were originally curved downwards in that signature way of his, now lifted. ''Just the man I was looking for.'' He steered him away from the press, finding a secluded alley to talk in privately. ''Find anything on the guy?''

''Nothing,'' He answered, but continued speaking after hearing his sigh in whole-hearted disappointment. ''But, I do think we'll have a better chance at catching the guy quicker, if we just figure out which place he's going to hit next, and when. That way we can have officers posted up on every block -- ''

''Shaw, look.'' He cut off, brows drawn together in that deep-rooted frown that aged him, at least in Shaw's opinion. ''I love you, and I love what you do for the station, but its just not possible.'' He said.

''The guy just moves too quick for us. And he never strikes the same building twice, which means even if we did have a lead on him, which we wont, we won't be able to follow up on it.''

Normally, his words would have been discouraging for some, but Shaw had, had years and years to get use to the Lieutenant's pessimistic ways. And if you were firm, and let him know what you wanted, and when you wanted it, he would fold.

At least, that's what worked on the other officers.

 ''Lieutenant, with all due respect, this guy's been busting our balls and staying under the radar for long enough, if we have an idea on how to lure him out, get him captured once and for all, then why can't we?''

''I'm listening.''

Bingo.

''A couple of guys figured out a pattern with every attack he makes.'' He explained, before sighing. ''Think of it like this, House A, House B, House C, and House D, each belongs to a politician, or maybe even a Government employee.''

Lieutenant hummed as if he were following. 

''He'll attack House A, one-hundred percent, and when you set up and think he's gonna attack House B, he'll go after house D instead, and then skip house C completely.'' He concluded. Orchestrating the importance of his words with added emphasis, his hands. ''The thing with Phantom is, he's always one step-ahead. He likes toying with us, gets off to it.''

''And if we can guess which place he's going after next, we'll have our guy,'' Lieutenant nodded slowly, as if he were beginning to like the idea. ''And let me guess, you happen to know where he's attacking next?''

Shaw nodded.

A slow, but purposeful and satisfied smirk upturned Lieutenants lips. ''I like where this is going.'' He gestured a few other officers over. ''Daniels, Boone, Felix, and Carlos, get Shaw whatever material he needs, I believe we have our guy.''