─︎ тwenтy || arιѕнeм ─︎

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

IRAQ - PRESENT DAY

Based on the earth's hologram in the primary room, the emergence had commenced. To make matters worse, Phastos still could not connect everyone's power. Seeing her team panic, Y/n sent out Makkari to find the point of emergence.

"How much longer?" Sersi said, desperate for the invention to be complete.

"I don't know, Sersi." Phastos snapped, internally petrified. The pressure wasn't helping him work faster.

"It'll be okay. Phastos, just stay focused on working. If I see anyone bothering him, I will kill you myself." Y/n announced, supplying him with a heartening nod before going to check her assortment of weapons. Sersi fled the room, acknowledging Ikaris's missing presence.

"Druig, are you sure you can do this?" Y/n mentioned. Not that she didn't believe in him, she was just worried about what the repercussions would be. "Can you handle that amount of power?"

"I don't know," Druig answered honestly, not wanting to lie to the girl. Detecting her disturbed behavior, he hurriedly assured her. "But we have Sersi as well. If I can't, she can do it."

Y/n nodded, chewing the inside of her lip anxiously. "Please, just ─︎ if you die ─︎."

"I won't die," Druig said, grasping her hand comfortingly. "How can I with you there to protect me?"

"Ah, well, I am pretty good at keeping you alive." Y/n chuckled, gripping his hand securely, savoring the feeling of how their interlaced fingers felt. If she could, she would go back in time ─︎ a time where life was less perplexing and would keep them shielded from everything trying to dismantle it.

"Very," Druig said, adjusting one of her stray hairs back to its rightful place.

"Since we are on the topic of keeping you safe... Druig, the others and I have been discussing a plan of attack," Y/n said, trying to envision whether his reaction would be negative or positive. "I will fight off the deviants while you handle the celestial."

"All of your own?" Druig questioned, brows furrowed in concern.

"What I mean is that I will keep force fields around everyone, just in case," Y/n explained, recognizing his imminent objection. "I'll have one too while I keep them away."

"Will you be safe, though?" Druig said protectively.

"As long as everything goes according to plan, yes," Y/n added. "I promised I'll be okay. I intend to keep that promise."

Druig exhaled, stressed. Before he could articulate a word, Ikaris entered the room with his battle suit, a disquieting determination in his eyes delivering a chill down Y/n's spine.