Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, England, Autumn 1464

The men are excited about their victory and we spend the summer in London celebrating. My pregnancy progresses well and I am seven months gone when Edward decides to move the court to Windsor Castle in Berkshire. Edmund and Norfolk write to their wives about this and tell them that they are busy and will send for them shortly. Both of them know that their time to tell Warwick is running out. He is insisting on the French treaty and he will soon have to learn that all his hard work has gone dreadfully down the drain. 

I also meet up with Margaret and Claire who accompany their husbands. They are the first people I tell of my great plan and Margaret is clearly astounded. "Are you sure this is a smart idea Eliza? What would Warwick say?"

"Warwick is exactly the reason I need to do this," I explain to them. "If there is no counterbalance for him at court he's allowed to run amok with no repercussions whatsoever. My family will serve me. They will be loyal to me and my husband alone. I cannot trust Warwick to be completely selfless. He has his own pursuit of power that he is chasing."

"I suppose if you put it that way it makes sense," Claire observes. "It was a bit of a rash decision, but since it was going to happen anyway I suppose this pays off in the end."

"It better," Margaret muttered. "I love your cousins and they were so nice when we went to visit them so many years ago, but I'm afraid this whole episode will turn Warwick upside down."

"And that's exactly what I want," I tell them.

The timeframe closes. We send out messengers that bring a summons for Uncle Richard, Lewis, Anthony, John, Henry, Richard, Edward, and Lionel Woodville. No doubt Anthony will still be suspicious of me. No doubt I will still prove him wrong.

Elizabeth writes me that her father is sure the Edmund will take a French bride and that Norfork will take Alice Neville, Warwick's eldest daughter as his bride. I write back to her in a letter that is so comical and explicit and how much Norfolk and poor Alice Neville don't want to marry each other that she and Jackie can only send back a letter describing the laughter to me. I think that will Warwick will be disappointed That his daughter will be rather happy. This buys her a little more time.

Finally, when all the lords of the realm including the Woodville family have gathered at court it comes time for the signing ceremony. The treaty with France has all but then laid out. It is sitting on the table ready for Edward's signature. The French ambassador is standing among the people invited in the presence chamber. I sit waiting for my husband and his arrival with my eldest daughter Lizzie, who is becoming my constant companion, at my side. Warwick is walking around the room, his ego completely fed by the fact that this treaty is his brain child. 

Finally Edward, Edmund, and Norfolk walk into the room, all of them looking pale as a ghosts before Edward calls out, "Lord Warwick," and nudges toward one of the side corridors. Warwick looks confused but nods as he walks in with them. 

Lizzie notices this with interest and asks me, "What are they doing Lady Mother?"

"They are telling your uncle Warwick about their marriages," I tell her calmly even though I know that the tension in the corridor next to us must be mounting. 

There is silence for a few seconds before I hear screaming errupt from the room next to us. Suddenly everybody has stopped talking and their gaze fixed on where the profane swearing of the Earl of Warwick is echoing through the halls. Nobody can really tell what he's saying, but everybody can tell that it isn't good. I cover Lizzie's ears as I have determined that she doesn't need to hear what Warwick has to say before I listen to him errupt, "Now get in there and sign that treaty!"