🟥MEET GUYWORTHY🟥

Wyoming native, Guy Worthey, traded spurs and lassos for telescopes and computers when he decided to pursue astrophysics

Wyoming native, Guy Worthey, traded spurs and lassos for telescopes and computers when he decided to pursue astrophysics. Whenever he temporarily escapes the gravitational pull of stars and galaxies, he writes fiction, now in the slightly less rectangular state of Washington. He plays jazz bass and happily stretches genre boundaries to find common musical ground with his classical violinist wife Diane. A beacon of inclusivity in a fractured world, he likes both cats and dogs. Creamed eggs on toast is the earthy name of his favorite food, but once in a while he samples the celestial delights of chocolate.

 Creamed eggs on toast is the earthy name of his favorite food, but once in a while he samples the celestial delights of chocolate

🍁What gave you the idea for your story?

Story is Chicago Typewriter: 1. This 14.5k-word novelette is an outgrowth of another story series I write (the Ace Carroway books, about a 1920s action heroine). A sourpuss police lieutenant shows up in her story, and so I wrote a backstory for him. His name is Drew Lucy. He likes pulp fiction magazines and hates ... lots of things. In the end, it's probably the darkest thing I have written, but also quite endearing. 

🍁What types of stories can readers find on your profile?

My usual output is breezier. "Dax Magraw" is silly sci fi, "Angel Virus" is firmly YA, and "Boarding House Horror," despite its name, is an old-style mystery. That last one is also an Ace Carroway spin-off, so it's historical fiction.

What made you join our discord and what keeps you there?

🍁I'm not a great social media fan, but Discord hits a sweet spot because: WRITERS. It's like hanging out next to the water cooler, to use an outdated business allusion. We want to write, we want to write better, and we are curious. But we do not come with other agendas, which of course is a breath of fresh air in this hyper-polarized age. 

When did you start writing?

🍁I dabbled occasionally in my youth and from time to time, but I started writing creative fiction seriously in 2017. I'm old, though, haha. Being old is a huge advantage: (1) you have life experience, (2) you know how to complete projects and abandon projects, (3) you've figured out time management, and (4) you can self-teach what you are missing as regards writing craft.

Any advice for new writers?

🍁Creative endeavors are a bit paradoxical. Creating is best accomplished when you are dreamy and relaxed and uncritical, but you also have to come at it from the analytical and logical side. My writing advice comes in two chunks. (1) Learn the craft. (2) Edit. In those two points, I leave out "the muse" and "the inspiration" because once you get going, you'll have a backlog of ideas. On (1), you really do need to know the difference between active voice and passive voice. You really do need to know the difference between a speech tag and a beat. If you haven't tooled up, then you don't have tools. On (2), Edit. Edit for overall arc. Edit for character consistency. Edit for setting consistency. Edit to make sure you communicate your theme. Zooming to the smaller levels, edit for clarity of action. Edit for smooth, logical dialog. Edit for emotional authenticity. One step more zoomed in, to the line editing level, edit for juicy verbs. Edit for repeated words. Edit for consistent tense, voice, and active/passive sentence construction. And, yes, edit for spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Sorry for the repetition, but I hope you get my point!

 Sorry for the repetition, but I hope you get my point!