02┆Witches Before Wizards

The next morning, Luz wakes up with a gasp and looks around the room. She noticed King at the end of her sleeping bag, snoring, and y/n curled in a ball in her bed.

Luz sits up quickly. "It wasn't a dream!" She opens the window. "Good morning, terrifying fantasy world!"

The sea monster waves back at her. "Good morning." It shouts before sinking into the ocean.

Luz then runs over to King, picking him up. "Good morning, you little cutie‐pie." She kisses his head repeatedly.

King, who was startled by the action, yells. "I am not your cutie‐pie!" His screams had woken up y/n.

"Yes, you are." Luz hugs him tightly before putting him back down on her sleeping bag. She then walks over to y/n's bed to see the other teen now sitting up with the blankets around her like a cloak. She ruffles y/n's hair.

"Good morning, y/n!" Her energy was something else. Who could have so much enthusiasm in the morning?

"Morning, Luz." y/n tiredly said back. Eda never woke her daughter up unless they needed to be somewhere the next day. So being woken up early was something she'd have to get use to while Luz was here.

Luz, who was now fully dressed, opened the bathroom door. Several owls fly out of it, hooting. She watches them fly away before entering, walking backwards.

Curious, y/n had gotten out of bed and dressed. Pulling on her infamous red cloak that Eda had gotten her for her birthday, she said it was so they could match. Once dressed, she went downstairs to get a glass of appleblood for herself and Eda.

A few moments later, y/n could hear footsteps. Confirming her suspensions, she sees Luz following Eda into the kitchen where she was.

"Remember me? Luz?" She grunts as a coffee cup hits her in the back of the head. "We freed the oppressed and defeated the evil warden together? Yesterday?"

Remember me? What did Eda say to this poor human?

Eda groaned. "Kid, lay off the details. I haven't even had my cup of apple blood yet."

Luz raises her eyebrow. "You mean apple juice?" She watches as y/n hands Eda a mug of juice.

"No." The Owl Lady sits on the kitchen table and drinks from her mug. King is sitting in a high chair and stabbing a fork into a yellow blob with eyes sitting on a plate. And y/n was reading a magic book.

"Teach me some spells. When do I get a magic staff? Was I supposed to bring my own runes? Do you have a dangerous magical quest for me?" Luz spills out at once. She sure did want to know magic.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, kid." Eda says. "Being a witch doesn't happen overnight. Also, you're wrapped in a bathrobe and wearing the dirtiest traffic cone I've ever seen."

To spare her of the embarrassment, y/n walked over to Luz and pulled her hat off and blowed on it, revealing that it was, in fact, a traffic cone with a severe layer of dust on it. y/n chuckled while Luz's checks flamed red.

Eda noticed the lone look on the teens face. "But a magic staff, huh? You really want one?"

"More than anything."

"Magic staff, come to me!" She holds out her hand. For a second, nothing happens. Then several things crash in the distant. King, Luz, Eda and y/n all slowly turn to the sound, until Eda's staff appears and smacks her in the face, clattering to the ground.

Eda grunts and picks the staff up, spinning it before tapping it on the ground. "It's early. Now, witches are awarded their staffs from school. With me as your teacher, you'll be taking a different approach." She drops a bag of potions onto the floor. "You'll have to work for it. I run a few businesses with y/n. On weekends, we offer rare human treasures that Owlbert drags over from your side of the realm."