Prologue

Pictures of the same girl covered the screen. Over and over her subtle blue eyes and dark, chestnut hair could be seen in every picture. The only exception was the shorter girl, sharing identical eyes but darker, almost black hair: her little sister.

Small, watchful eyes studied every picture, as if trying to look through the image and see the mind of this young girl. It studied her, pondering over the smallest of details: her expression, unreadable- not that she was an unhappy person (though she surely would be, later on), it may only have been that she wasn't the charming or smiling girl. Her sea blue eyes: the way that they were distant and uncertain, like she was attempting to look beyond the limits of the world.

"A.D. Janson," the watcher called through a petite microphone. "Report to my office, please."

A man - A.D. Janson - strode into the doorway. What was most noticeable about him was his possession of rather unfortunate features that resembled a pointed-faced rat (more than once, he had been referred to as Rat Man).

"Chancellor Paige?" He asked, taking a seat in the room with comfort.

Immediately, Paige was onto the topic; she seemed to be quite a direct person.

"We've been studying this girl for a while, now - Lois, we had decided to call her? - and I wanted to ask your opinions. We've all seen her rather heated personality, yet she holds almost as much intelligence as some of the Immunes! What would you say about her?" Respect had laced her voice as she complemented Lois, the girl on the screen for her intelligence. It was curious, as mostly the Chancellor would be plotting the worst things for her rather than say something kind.

Janson answered factually and officially, as he had learned how to. WICKED had always enforced the need to keep personal and moral emotions at bay.

"We could use her like Mr Newton- the glue to the experiment."

"Yes," Chancellor Paige said. "But what do you yourself think?"It may have been the first time in Janson's job that he was asked his opinion; opinions were discouraged, as so many disagreed with WICKED's ways. He struggled to answer the question."Well, as you've said... she is different to the other subjects we've selected. Perhaps we could use this to our advantage? Though her in-immunity could be problematic if we are to have her pay a major role..." He said, trailing off in uncertainty."Yes!" Paige said with such excitement Janson nearly jumped back. "We will send her through the Maze."