3: The Code

The chilling air of the night drifted through the bars of the Slammer with a sinful target. Me. My breath was visible even in the darkness, and I snuggled closer into my own cold body, the cold gnawing down to my bones.

I was only an hour into my punishment, with countless more to follow, yet already I knew sleep was impossible. Who could possibly sleep in such freezing temperatures? From the cell next to me, I heard the relentless chatter of teeth grinding into each other. Slim it, Thomas, I thought. Couldn't he be a man enough to least shut himself up?

Somewhere in the dark night, I heard footsteps approaching. Talk. I could hear what they were saying, but only listened to when the visitor would come to me. Was that a sniffle? I paid no attention to it however, and was only in shock when the footsteps subsided, replaced by the sound of crunching bread. As if Thomas' goal was to trigger the mad rumbling of my stomach, or the tinge of jealousy that bit me.

I never hoped to sleep, but I curled in the corner, closing my eyes. I tried best I could to ignore the frosty air and loud rumble of hunger in my stomach whose resemblance to the start of an engine surprisingly similar.

In the state of drifting between consciousness, I dreamed a dream of only a few words. A few words that may have been the savior of our lives.

The Maze is a code.

The number of times that repeated could have drove me into insanity, yet I'm glad it did. When the rising of the sun blared in my closed eyes, I could still hear it echoing in my thoughts as if it was implanted there. Perhaps it was.

A tall dark boy I hadn't met before opened the door to our cells. Thomas, oddly, goggled.

"Shuck it, boy, what you lookin' at?" He asked.

"Wha- Nothing. Just seems crazy you healed so quickly. You fine now?"

I remained uninterested in their small talk. When the boy was finally flexing his muscles and doing whatever other absurd things, I rolled my eyes and stated my point clearly.

"The Maze is a Code."