Just One Day

Jungkook glanced at the contact in his phone, pondering his choices. He could call Namjoon, tell him that he wasn't interested in a trial and wanted to clear the air. The reason Jungkook brought this up was because Tae alerted him to a new development. Namjoon's grandfather was officially in a trial with the primary suspect on the case. They got records, names, recordings: everything. They had everything they needed to bring down the loan shark corporation in question. Jungkook hoped he didn't need to be involved anymore.

His fingers skimmed down the side of his phone, him sighing and preparing to bring it to his ear when his apartment door opened, revealing a tired Namjoon. Wordlessly, he came over and sat across from Jungkook. The silence spoke volumes, Jungkook leaning back in his seat until it creaked. They were in his tiny kitchen, the two-chaired table providing a strange sensation of consolation to them both. Neither of them acknowledged it, but it was a nice touch.

"I wanted to apologize for how I treated you," Namjoon said, Jungkook raising his brows. It felt like they shot so high, they fell off his head. "You didn't deserve it, and you certainly didn't deserve the stress I put on you these past few months."

"Maybe, but I also should've told you sooner. You don't have to take all the blame."

"You're right, and I won't, but you didn't deserve to live with the stress of thinking your friend would bring you to court and make you give testimony to one of the scariest nights of your life. I'm sorry for that."

"And I'm sorry for not telling you. You didn't deserve that either."

Namjoon played with Jungkook's words, toying them around in his expression before he shook Jungkook off. "Honestly Kook, I thought that bringing you to court would solve something. Put you on as a witness, maybe you'd get charged for withholding information if that's even possible, I don't know. I just wanted someone to share my pain. I didn't realize that this whole time, I didn't need that."

"And what did you need?"

"A friend," he whispered, his eyes on his hands. "Funny how what I needed was in front of me this whole time, I just didn't see it."

"You were grieving. Death is never easy, but unexpected ones always hit the hardest."

Namjoon and Jungkook shared a brief moment of silence, their gazes on the table. Jungkook thought about what to say, but he didn't think he could say much more. How did one comfort a grieving person? Was there a specific way to? The worst part was no matter what Jungkook said or did, he couldn't make it better. Perhaps that was what made watching someone grieve so difficult. He was powerless.

"Thank you," Namjoon said, Jungkook peeping up.

"For what?"

"You cared. I think you should've told me, but you cared about whether or not that would make it worse. You didn't want to make me feel betrayed, or to blame you or something of the sorts. I don't agree with what you did, but I have to admire why you did it. How can I not admire someone trying to protect the ones he loves?"

"I'd do anything for you. Do you think we could start over?"

Jungkook feared the answer, a copper taste swarming his mouth for his tongue to soak in. Namjoon laughed for a moment, lifting his hand and pointing it in Jungkook's direction. He took it, shaking the man's hand. And after, their eyes locked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think we can."

~~~

Jungkook was cuddled up on your chest, his fluffy hair spiraled out on your chest. You were stroking his locks, his eyes shut. He stirred, groaning and grunting as he woke up. His bed head was beautiful, and you loved waking up before him just for this reason: to see his morning form. Jeon Jungkook was perfect in your eyes, and now he was not only more relaxed because of the Namjoon situation, but he was also happier. Seeing him smile brought a joy no one else could. You loved it. You loved him.

His eyes peeked up at you, crusted and dry from a night's rest. Regardless, he smiled upon seeing your face staring back at him. "Morning sleeping beauty," you said, him snorting and pecking your lips.

"Morning, angel."

The man rolled out of bed, and you watched, him ruffling his messy locks. He had no problem snatching your brush and doing his hair with it, you chuckling at his antics. Although you had to admit it was nice he was comfortable enough with you to do these types of things.

"Someone's perky, you just woke up a few seconds ago Koo, what's got you so worked up? We didn't even have sex last night. Wait, is that what this is? Are we having morning sex?"

Jungkook chortled, swiveling on the heel of his feet and facing you. "First of all, you're adorable, babe. Second of all, this isn't about sex."

"First of all, thank you. Second of all, then what's going on?"

"I finally have my friend back, I have a wonderful girlfriend, I'm passing college - not well, but I am, and I'm about to get morning sex."

"You just said this isn't about sex," you said with a huff, pouting after.

He came over and kissed your pouty lips, pulling back and stroking your cheek with his hand. "I don't think much, babe. I answered without thinking."

"How the hell are you in college?"

He snickered but didn't answer, hopping up to go into your bathroom. He washed his face, you yawning and glancing around at all the paintings in your room. Funny, half of them were portraits of Jungkook. Or areas that defined important parts of your relationship. The nature preserve and the bowling alley were two you saw, but there was also a picture of your bed, Jungkook and you in it and all cuddled up together.

Jungkook came back out and saw you admiring the art, him getting on his side of the bed and resting his head on your shoulder. "You know what each of these paintings have in common?" you asked, and he softly hummed, scanning over each one. "I painted them while I was in love with you."

"That was so cheesy I almost threw up."

"Oh shush, we were having a moment."

"I have a boner."

"That has nothing to do with what we're talking about." Jungkook waved you off, and you whacked his shoulder. He whined and backed away from you, his fake hurt expression making you chuckle. "You know I love you, right?"

"I'll never get tired of hearing that."

You kissed him again, running your fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes and eased himself into your touch, you kissing his forehead in the process. "I'll never get tired of saying it. I just wanted to say that I really love our relationship, and I love that we're figuring college out together. The truth is, neither of us know how our lives are gonna go."

"But we can do that together too," he whispered, gazing at you with the most beautiful doe eyes you had ever seen. And you fell in love all over again. There it was, the cliché love you never thought you'd feel. Here it was. And you were grinning like a moron because of it.

"Do you want to start a life with me?" you asked, him instantly leaning toward you and pressing his lips on yours. The kiss was breathtaking. It brought colors to your heart, a rainbow bursting out in front of your eyes. It only lasted three seconds, but it was enough to confirm your desire for him. Your love for him too. And with that, he took both of your hands, his bunny smile blessing your soul.

"I would love to."