12. Escaping Danger🧁

Casey was tired of visiting the police station. Crossing the NSPD emblem on the floor, he approached the receptionist's desk. Despite the warmth that furnished the building, Casey shivered. He folded his arms across his chest. After explaining to the young woman that they needed to speak with Detective Bailey, they took their seats on some leather chairs to wait.

Nothing felt real anymore. It was like he'd been thrown into some kind of thriller movie with ruthless killers pursuing him. Casey needed to tell his family. When he reached for his phone in his coat pocket, it almost slipped out of his trembling hand.

"Casey?" Concern shone in August's eyes as he removed his jacket, draping it over Casey's shoulders. "You okay?"

"Not really," Casey muttered.

"Is there anything I can do?" August asked.

Casey shook his head. "I'm just shaken up. I never expected they'd come after me. Like, I know you warned me."

"Nah, I get it. I'm sorry. Wish I could've stopped it from happening. Maybe I shouldn't have had you meet me there." August gently rubbed his injured, bandaged arm, sighing.

"I think they would've come after me regardless," Casey told him. "If not tonight, eventually."

Casey's phone pinged in his lap, lighting up with a new text from his dad. Dread sunk in his stomach. He needed to tell him what happened. Inhaling a sharp breath of air, Casey unlocked his phone and called his father. Each ring synced with his heartbeat until he answered.

"Hey, where are you? Is everything alright?"

Casey licked his chapped lips, pressing the phone tightly against his ear. "Dad, I don't want you to freak out."

"What's wrong? Did something happen? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm alright but someone shot at me. Shattered my windows," Casey told him. "I'm at the police station now. August is with me. If not for him, I probably would have a bullet in my head."

"Shot at you? Shit, I'm coming down there now," Dad said.

"No, you don't need to do that. Stay at the house with Wyatt and Lani." Casey insisted. "I'll be home soon, okay? How's Wyatt?"

His father paused for a moment. "Good, he's just waiting for you. Already had his bath and brushed his teeth. Him and Lani had fun with the playdough, then he spent some time playing games on her tablet."

"I'm glad he had fun. Tell him I'll be home as soon as I can. I dunno how long this will take," Casey replied, gazing up when he spotted Detective Bailey coming around the corner. "I gotta go, Dad. I promise, I'm okay. I'll be back soon."

"Okay, you be safe getting back. I love you. If you need me, I'll come down there."

"Thanks, I love you too." Casey ended the call, stuffing his phone back in his pocket.

"Casey? Is something wrong?" Detective Bailey asked.

"Yeah, some guys shot at us. I was driving home and they came out of nowhere," Casey replied. "My windows are shattered from the bullets. Just look outside and you'll see."

Concern creased his rigid features. "Are you alright? None of the bullets hit either of you? No grazes or cuts from shards of glass?"

Casey shook his head. "No, we're okay."

"Casey just wanted to make a report," August said. "I went with him cuz I noticed some sketchy guys watching him. Turns out they targeted him."

"I'm surprised to see you here, August. Haven't heard from you in a while. How's your grandma doing?" Detective Bailey asked.