26. Comfort Foods🧁

Later that night, the family gathered in the living room. Casey held Wyatt close as he detailed what happened with the intruder. While retelling it, Wyatt clung to him, burying his face against his sweatshirt. He hadn't left Casey's side since the police left.

"Maybe that detective was right. We ought to get out of town," Mr. Lockhart suggested.

"Where will we go?" Casey asked. "I mean, you and Lani might be able to stay with our grandparents, but they won't take me in. And I don't want Wyatt going somewhere he's not welcome. They'll blame me for getting us into this mess."

"We're not turning to them for help." Lani rested a consoling hand on his back. "I wouldn't wanna stay with them either."

"Lani's right. Not only that, but I doubt they'd even take us in," Mr Lockhart pointed out. "You saw how they acted toward us at your mother's funeral. They're still upset about everything that happened in court and with your ex."

"Then where could we go? There's nowhere else." Casey shook his head. "The cops can't protect us forever. They've barely got any leads."

"I don't know." Lani bit her lower lip, slouching in her seat. "I wish we had more family out of state we could visit. Maybe we could stay at a hotel for a while? Just until things cool down and the detectives figure out who's pulling the strings here."

"Maybe that's a good idea. I dunno. We'll figure something out," Mr. Lockhart assured them. "We always do, don't we?"

"They're after me. Each attack has been geared toward me." Casey stroked Wyatt's back, sighing. "Maybe I should lay low with August for a while? Until things settle down. I don't know who Wyatt would be safer with me. Me or you guys."

"We don't know for sure that they're only after you. Remember those photos they sent me?" Mr. Lockhart reminded him.

"That's a good point. You think they'll try to get Lani next?" Casey asked as concern ghosted his face. "Or Wyatt?"

"Well, Lani is the only one we know for sure hasn't been personally targeted. They might've had her photo..." Mr. Lockhart trailed off, gazing over at his daughter. "You haven't noticed anyone weird following you lately, have you?"

"Guess they're saving the best for last," Lani joked. "But no, I haven't seen anyone like that. Do you think it would be safer for us to split up or stay together? I could stay with Audrey for a bit if Casey goes to August's."

"That leaves Dad all alone here," Casey pointed out. "And I don't want him by himself here. I think we should stay together. We can keep each other safe. Splitting up probably isn't the best choice right now. We gotta work together. Right?"

"Casey's right. We need to stick together," Mr. Lockhart agreed.

"How long do you think they'll keep the police escort this time?" Lani asked, sparing a glance out the window. A police cruiser parked across the street, with an officer on duty who had their personal phone numbers to call in case something happened or someone tried to break in again.

"Hopefully, longer than the last time." Mr. Lockhart groaned, raking a hand through his hair. "I'm just glad the police got here when they did. I thought making sure you guys weren't alone at the bakery was a priority, but now I'm scared for y'all to be here at the house by yourselves."

Casey looked down at Wyatt in his arms, struggling to push the guilt from his mind. Not only had he dealt with losing his grandma, but he'd witnessed an invasion that had to scare the hell out of him. Casey would talk more with him later in their room, just to see how he was coping with everything.