23. Playtime at the Park🧁

Beneath the dimly lit porch light of his house, Casey smiled. "I had fun tonight."

"Yeah, me too," August replied.

August leaned in, closing the distance between their bodies as he kissed him. With a swift gesture, Casey wrapped his arms around his broad shoulders and let himself get swept up in the passionate moment.

A pair of bright headlights came creeping down the road, causing the two to step back and gaze back at the car that drove by. Casey scooted toward the door, as if expecting a reign of bullets to come. Thankfully, the car just drove on and Casey let out a breath he'd sucked in.

"You thought it might be them too?" August asked softly.

Casey released a sigh, nodding. "Yeah, they've been awfully quiet and I don't like it. I feel like they're planning something. I've had Lani be careful when babysitting Wyatt, making sure she keeps the doors locked and doesn't open it for anyone."

"I get it. You can't be too careful around here," August told him. "Have the police found any more leads yet?"

"No, nothing so far."

"I've kept an ear out on the streets, but nobody's talking much about it. The Black Vipers have been rather tight-lipped lately too, but there's supposed to be a raid on the Voiceless Rebels soon. Apparently, a rat gave the cops some intel on a drug stash of theirs."

"Oh shit, really?"

"Yeah, I heard it's gonna be a big one." August stuffed his hands in his pockets. "It'll be hard on them, losing that much supply."

Casey couldn't help but think about Emmett. Did he realize someone in their group had turned on him? While the gangs liked to consider themselves like family, Casey was all too familiar with how they stabbed each other in the back. His mom had mentioned it before, about how their people easily turned on each other to save their own backs. Casey couldn't blame them either. Why sacrifice your own life for theirs?

"I wonder what they'll do about it," Casey murmured.

"Probably cut back on their clients," August replied. "I've seen it happen before. We'll get an increase in demand with them being short. Even if they're loyal to them, they'll seek out whoever they can for their drugs."

"Interesting. I can't say I'm surprised. Addicts are desperate to get their drugs. It's a pitiful life, really."

August shrugged. "Guess they can't help themselves. It's a shame to see people get hooked on that shit. I watched it kill my mom. That's why my grammie raised me. Lost my mom when I was just eight. Overdosed on the couch. I found her in the morning."

"Jesus." Casey gasped, touching his shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

August waved a dismissive hand. "Nah, it's okay. Mom knew what she was doing. She didn't wanna live in this world anymore. The pain killed her in the end. All the drugs only suppressed it for a while."

"Still, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can't even imagine..."

"Nah, I get it. I'm glad you can't relate. But that's why I used to be more understanding of Veronica. Like, she kinda reminded me of my mother sometimes. I get how it can be a pain to recover from drug abuse."

"I know. That's why I gave her so many chances. More than I should have," Casey admitted.. "Please, promise me you'd touch none of those awful drugs."

"Don't worry, I've got no plans to. If I could get out of the business, I would," August told him. "But I've got too many debts to pay. Maybe someday I'll be able to escape, but not now. Not without putting my grandma or you in harm's way."