Fish Out Of Water (Part 2)

"I still don't get it, how is it that we never heard of or knew of a species of mermaids that practically descended from half sea elves?" Callum sighs as he drops his book onto the table in front of him. "I've looked through all these old books on elves and nothing! Not even the other stuff that Ibis sent us has anything on these creatures!"

"So what does it mean if even the elves have never heard of the mermaids?" Ezran asks. "I don't think Enya is lying."

"I don't think she's lying either, even Viren's magic books don't say anything on mermaids like that." Soren agrees as he waved the book he was reading and dropped it on the table with a frustrated sigh. "It's been over a month and still nothing, I can't believe this sort of things aren't in the books."

"Maybe it's for the best, otherwise dark mages like Viren would have been hunting them down for dark magic stuff like the other Xadian creatures." Callum says with a nod. "You think we should head to the seaside to check on her?"

"Why?" Ezran asks.

"Well to ask her questions, and to check up on her. Don't you wanna see her again Soren?"

"Wait me?" The soldier asks in surprise. "I mean, yeah I'd like to see her again. But wouldn't she get in trouble with her pod if we came looking for her? She mentioned she got in big trouble when she rescued me as a kid, it'd be bad if our third interaction got her kicked out."

"I didn't see any other merfolk in the water, maybe she's not with her pod anymore." Ezran points out. "It wouldn't hurt to check on her, plus I'm kinda getting bored and wanna get a break."

"So....another beach trip?"

"Fine, just one more trip to that beach again." Soren sighs. "Just don't expect me to go diving for our new mermaid friend."

🌊🌊🌊🌊

Spending a good three hours at that part of the beach where they found Enya did no good. Soren did end up diving into the water with a good length of rope attached to his waist, but there was still no sign of her anywhere. Even when Callum purposely tossed himself into the sea with Bait in hopes of drawing her out, the mermaid never came.

"Dang it, maybe she's migrated somewhere else." Callum sighs as they are riding into the seaside town located near the beach they were just at. "I was really hoping we'd find her again."

"Eh, who knows, maybe next year we'll find her if we come back around the same time as several weeks ago." Soren says with a shrug as he tugged on the reins of the horse pulling their wagon. "Since we're here, let's get a place to sleep and rest, I don't want to stay at that really creepy inn we passed on the way here."

"Come on Callum, let's explore!" Ezran says as he hopped out of the wagon with his brother right behind him. "This port looks like that one we met the blind pirate!"

"Well it is a port Ezran, though I doubt we'll meet someone as interesting as Villads here." Callum says as he follows his brother to a fenced off area that overlooked the sea. "Wouldn't it be nice to live here? Every day you get to feel a fresh ocean breeze and go swimming when it gets hot, I'm pretty sure even Rayla would love it once she got used to it."

"Nah you wouldn't want to live here with crazy old Caspian and his daily rambles." They hear someone say and turn to find a middle-aged woman with a cart of fish. "Always rambling and raving about seeing beings of the sea that he swears aren't Tidebound elves, and swearing he'll catch one and mount it in the tavern for proof."

The two boys look at each other nervously, now wondering if this Caspian was talking about the same mermaid they met before.

"Oh don't you two worry, half the time that old coot is drunk when he goes fishing, so he probably saw a manatee or a shark and mistook it for something else." The woman assures them. "Keep telling him not to take those nasty smelling bottles of ale with him when he goes out, one of these days I seriously need to dump them somewhere that's not the water, can't have those poor fish getting drunk off that junk. You boys just need to avoid that drop off near a certain part of the beach."