FAQ

When does Gloves Up start?

The qualification period runs throughout May, and ends on May 31st. If you have not submitted a qualifying entry by this point in time you will not be permitted to enter the contest.

Where are the prompts?

Each prompt will be released and made available as and when that particular round of the contest goes live.

Make sure to add this book to your library and/or follow our profile if you want to be notified once they go live.

Do I need to follow a prompt for my story?

Yes, as when it comes to judging that is something our judges will be looking for.

Can I submit a story I've already written?

Unfortunately, no. Gloves Up is for new stories only, inspired by designated prompts.

How many competitors are allowed?

For the Qualifying round and Round 1 (1.1,1.2,1.3) there is no limit. However, scores from all Round 1 entries will be tallied, and only the entrants with the 16 highest overall scores will progress to Round 2.

Do my stories have to be written in English?

Yes, this particular contest is for English stories only.

I'm not from the US, can I still enter?

Yes! Gloves Up is open to anyone, no matter where you are.

I'm not 18 yet, does that mean I'm not allowed to enter?

Gloves Up doesn't have an age limit. Be aware though, that you need to be at least 13 years of age in order to have an account on Wattpad.

When is the contest period?

The contest opens on May 1st, 2022 (qualifying) and closes January 16th, 2023 (end of final round). However, you must submit a qualifying entry before May 31st if you wish to take part.

Do I have to create a new story collection for my Gloves Up entries?

Yes, you do. Each entry should comprise a single chapter in that collection.

Can I rewrite a previously existing story to fit the prompt?

No. This must be a brand new story written specifically for the challenge. It wouldn't be fair to other contestants who follow the rules and begin a new story while you recycle something you've already written. This can be a new story arc, a prequel, or even a sequel, but the contents must be a brand new story written for Gloves Up using the relevant prompt for a given round. Anything that was previously published cannot be used.

I'm not good at making graphics. Will my (lack of) cover also be judged?

No, our judges will only score the written content of your story.

I'm not entering the contest but I want to use a prompt, is that okay?

Of course, you don't even have to credit us.

How strict are the word counts for each round?

We will generally give a maximum word count that you should try to keep to. Unless stated there will be no minimum word counts.

If I get eliminated, can I still use prompts from future rounds to inspire me?

Absolutely!

Can I co-write my Gloves Up entries with a friend?

No, we're afraid not.

Is this contest sponsored by Wattpad HQ?

No. This contest is organized, managed, and judged in its entirety by the Ambassadors Team, which consists of users who volunteer their free time to Wattpad.

The Gloves Up is not affiliated with Wattpad or its staff. If Wattpad decides to feature or otherwise recognize any of this contest's entries at any time, that's entirely Wattpad's choice. It does not impact the Gloves Up team's decision over the winners of this contest in any way.

Are the judges professional/associated with HQ or staff?

See above note. We are volunteers who give our time to judge the amazing stories put forward. We do not have any affiliation with Wattpad HQ or staff.

Will the judges be participating in Gloves Up?

No. To remain fair and unbiased, all judges and those affiliated with this contest are excluded from participating.

Can my entries to Gloves Up be rated mature?

Yes, mature stories are allowed. Please make sure though your entries follow Wattpad Content Guidelines.

What timezone will Gloves Up follow?

All submission deadlines for Gloves Up will follow Universal Coordinated Time.

Will I lose any rights to my work by entering Gloves Up?

No, the story will remain entirely yours and you will not lose any rights to your work.