nine

SOPHOMORE YEAR//APRIL

~MAGGIE~

After three loud bangs I finally made it to the door and turned the handle to let in the new arrivals. "AYYYYY" three voices all shouted into my face as soon as I opened the door.

The band had arrived.

Goldie, Brady and I had left The Shack right when their set had ended so we could get snacks and drinks set up back at the apartment. I knew Niall had told some people that there was an after party so I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. A few people had already arrived. Names and faces that I knew from classes, other gigs, just being around.

I had put on my carefully curated party playlist that had a mix of crowd pleasers, dance songs, and a few of my favorites that just had to be on there even though I knew most people wouldn't know them.

By the time Niall, Alex, and Conner showed up there were about 20 people there and I was hoping no one else showed up otherwise our fairly small apartment would be just as crammed and sweaty as one of the dirty frat basements I'd been in one too many times.

My nerves about hosting completely settled once Niall was there though. Everyone was drinking, laughing, dancing, and singing along to Queen and Doja Cat. I took a moment to look around, take it in and really internalize how good everything was. I had friends who cared about me so much, better friends than I had ever had in my life. I had this apartment, a job, and I was doing well in school. Life was good. Sometimes it was hard to remember that. To remind myself that I put in hard work and I should enjoy the good things that come out of it. Things were good. I was okay.

I walked over to Goldie who was sitting on our thrifted couch that sat against the wall of the living room. Plopping down next to her I said quietly, "got your eye on anyone in here?"

"Nahhh" she droned, "mind's somewhere else tonight". She took a sip of her drink and raised her eyebrows as I nudged her shoulder with my elbow.

"Goldieeee, since when do you not tell me these things! Who is he? Where did he come from? Tell me everything"

"Well...actually," she took a big inhale and let it out slowly, puffing her cheeks, "he's a she, her name is Daisy and she's one of the writers for that fashion magazine club I'm trying to write for"

"Oh my god this is so exciting, can I see her Instagram or something, did you invite her here tonight?" Goldie shook her head, "ASK HER RIGHT NOW!" I yelled a little too loudly, almost jumping from my seat.

"Calm down, calm down" Goldie said, placing a hand on my thigh to keep me from moving. "I just joined the magazine, it's just a little crush, we flirt back and forth a little, I want to be cool about it" she paused, bit her lip nervously and then continued, "I've never done this with... a um... ya know..."

I knew. In almost two years of friendship Goldie had only ever told me about different boys she would go on a few dates with, hookup with once or twice, or the occasional short lived relationship, but only ever boys. The word "she" had flown out of her mouth so fast I barely even processed it at the time, but looking back I can remember the fear in her eyes when she told me.