CHAPTER 4: THE ADVICE OF BILBO

Chapter Four: The Advice of Bilbo

I don't own Lord of the Rings.

As the hobbits convened in Bilbo's room, possibly to discuss the council (technically, the council was a secret meeting, but Lord Elrond didn't seem to mind and Aireraumonis decided she didn't need to either), Aireraumonis and Glorfindelinstead followed Lord Elrond into his chambers, a grim expression upon all three of their fair faces, the two once-Gondolindrim elves exchanging dark glances.

"Tell me, Aireraumonis, Glorfindel," Lord Elrond said as he paced the length of his chambers, "what did you make of the council?"

Glorfindel frowned. "The stars seem to be in our favor—messengers you did send, but many had come before word reached them. But there has been grave news indeed—I had known of Saruman's treachery but not of how it runs so deep. And the rings of the dwarves..." He shook his head. "All the rings but the elves are lost."

"Indeed." Lord Elrond ceased his pacing and turned toward the two. "If we are indeed to send Sam, we must send scouts to determine the safest path." His expression was tired. "Glorfindel, Aireraumonis, you two are of the few that can openly ride against the nine."

"If my lord wills it so, it shall be done," Glorfindel said.

"Tell me, who should you have accompany him?"

"Mithrandir," Aireraumonis said at once. "And perhaps Aragorn."

"And what do you say, Glorfindel?" Lord Elrond asked.

"Would you have me go?"

"I ask not as your lord, but as your cousin."

Glorfindel smiled a little. "Thrice removed, my lord. Or once, should you count your marriage to Celebrian."

"Even still."

Glorfindel considered it. "An elf and a dwarf, at the least. Each race upon Middle Earth's fate is bound to the Ring; therefore, each should have a hand in destroying it. Yet I fear Merry and Pippin will follow Sam—they are still young, and do not understand the dangers."

"I fear you are right," Aireraumonis said. "And perhaps... it may not be so bad if they follow. Sam needs friends he can trust, and without them, it would be Aragorn, but even Aragorn does not have Sam's full trust. Merry and Pippin can keep him from falling into shadow."

Lord Elrond sighed heavily. "No matter. We will discuss this when the time comes. For now... I must ask that you scout the lands and drive off Nine as far as you can. The path must be prepared."

"As you wish, my lord," Aireraumonis said, and they left, parting at Lord Elrond's door to their own chambers to prepare.

A quarter of an hour later, now-changed and almost ready, a small smile graced her lips as she lifted the beautiful sword from where it lay on her wall. Seeing it brought a pang of pain in her heart—after all, Orcist had been Ecthelion'sblade, lost in the fall of Gondolin, and using it only reminded her of the Lord of the Fountain. Though she had thought the blade was more well-suited to one like Glorfindel, Thorin had given it to her—why, she did not know. Yet she had promised to avenge him well as he took his last breath, and avenge him with the blade she would.

"Aireraumonis." Glorfindel was waiting for her in the stables, Asfaloth at his side, the elf-horse's bells jingling in the light breeze. "I was thinking... we should ride together."

"Why? We would cover more ground separate."

"Because I cannot lose you," he said simply. "Because orcs would not dare face us together. And we can drive the Nine off easily together."