Introduction/What the Cluck Is This?

Congratulations on finding your way here.  You might be asking yourself why right now.  Why chickens?  Why 99 stories?  Why does anything exist at all???

Those are all good questions, and I will do my best to answer at least two of them.  

Hi, by the way.  If you don't know me, I go by Wuckster here on Wattpad.  I've been writing stories for a few years now and one day I noticed that chickens seemed to crop up somewhat frequently in my writing.  This wasn't a conscious choice I made along the way, it just kind of seemed to happen independent of whether I wanted it to or not.  The most simple explanation for this is that I find chickens funny.  There's something about them that's just comical to me.

Awhile back I had a weird idea that it would be funny to have a collection called 99 Stories About Chickens.  99 just seemed like a good number.  It demonstrates a clear commitment to the concept and delivers probably all of the chicken-related stories you could ever want.  I could have made it an even 100, but that would have just been ridiculous.

The question remained, where were these 99 stories going to come from?  If push came to shove, I figured I could probably dig deep and crank out 99 stories myself.  But it occurred to me it would be a lot more fun if I somehow roped other writers into participating in my weird idea.  In my imagination this would be a diverse and eclectic anthology in a wide variety of voices and styles.  Just because I think chickens are funny doesn't mean every story has to be funny.  In fact, I think it would be funnier if some of the stories were serious or heartbreaking or scary.  Just because chickens are involved doesn't mean there have to be any particular limitations.  The sky is the limit!

So anyway, all of this remained a vague dream I had for several years.  It was something I for reals thought would be cool, but I didn't think it would ever actually happen.  To be honest, 99 stories is probably a pretty tall order.  I figured I'd contribute one story myself, but the hard part is going to be convincing 98 other people to buy into the concept.  I don't think I know 98 other people in real life, let alone 98 other writers, let alone 98 other writers who might have a desire to write about chickens.  I think that alone was why I never really thought I would actually attempt this.

But the simple fact is the idea of it has never left my mind.  It would make me so happy if this weird anthology actually came together.  If I somehow managed to will it into existence I think I would feel as if I had fulfilled some sort of life purpose.  I think for some reason I felt like I had to have all 99 stories in hand before I could post anything, but it finally occurred to me that 99 can be an aspirational number.  A goal to be striven for.  A dream that may or may not ever be reached, but it'll be fun to try to get there.  And I can just post more stories as they come in until I reach the magic number, if or when that ever happens, no matter how long it takes.  

If you're a writer, this is where you come in.  Write a chicken story.  Come on!  You know you want to.  Think how awesome it would be to be a part of something absurd like this.  99 sounds like a huge number, but in the grand scheme of things it's not all that much.  Be part of the chicken elite before it's too late!