𝟒|𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐆𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐓

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂

❐❑ 𝐊𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐘 ❒❏

        ― I WOKE UP EARLY the next morning, heading downstairs and putting on a pot of coffee for myself, as well as anyone else who came down. I poured myself a cup, taking a sip of the black liquid. I looked out a nearby window, planning to leave after someone else came down so I could alert them of my departure.

        My back was to the door of the kitchen, and I jumped when I heard someone clearing their throat. I turned to find James, making my eyes go wide as I set down my cup of coffee, "Sorry, I was just waiting for someone else to wake so I could leave. I-I'll go n—"

        "You're fine." He spoke through gritted teeth, pouring himself a cup, "You can stop apologizing."

        "Sor—" I caught myself before I finished my sentence, blushing furiously before drowning my embarrassment with a large gulp of the scorching hot liquid. I wrapped an arm around my waist, hoping to hide myself in my arms. There was an awkward tension between the two of us, the silence to much to bear. I took a deep breath through my nose, fidgeting with the skirt I was still wearing from last night. My blouse was wrinkled from sleeping in it, and I'm sure my hair looked a mess. I didn't have a brush with me, so I was stuck with finger combing it this morning.

        "The kids are going supply shopping today," James spoke, catching me off guard. I flinched at the sudden noise, making him grin at me. He seemed proud of the fact that I was so timid around him, "They might want to stop by your shop, just giving you a warning. The twins are a handful." I nodded awkwardly, looking down at my foot as I drew circles with it on the floor. "You're quiet, aren't you?"

        I looked up, ashamed of my answer, "I don't want to upset you..." His smug grin fell at what I said, an angry look overtaking his pretty features. He stalked towards me, making me tense in fear.

        "Why?" He asked, cocking his head to the side, "What do you think I'll do? Choke you again? Bash your head?" He was too close for my liking, making my heart race as my eyes widened at his words. He looked down upon me, which was surprising. I'm taller than most girls, a steady 5'8. But James was a staggering 6'1 at least. His hight and his bulk intimidated me, memories of what happened the other evening making my eyes water as I tried blinking away the tears.

        I stammered as I spoke, "I-I'm sorry. I'll g-go now." I quickly set down my mug, the liquid inside sloshing around dangerously close to the rim. I quickly maneuvered my way around him, grabbing my things and holding a hand to my neck in reminisce of the night before. I was quick to tread a few blocks down before apparating to my store, quickly showering and getting ready before I opened the store at eight.

❐❑ 𝐉𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒 ❒❏

        ― I WATCHED HER LEAVE, guilt bubbling in my stomach. I knew she was a bit frightened of me, but now I felt bad that I had scared her off. Before I knew her name, I thought she was beautiful, and I hoped that we would become friends. But now, I just can't seem to get over her relation to Peter. He never mentioned having a sister, ever. But I don't know how truthful she's being about her past with him.

        "Nice going, asshole." I jumped at the sudden break in the silence, turning to find Remus sitting at the end of the long table. It seemed like he had been there for a bit, he probably heard the last of our conversation. I cursed under my breath, turning to place my hands on the counter as I closed my eyes in frustration, "You scared her off."

        I turned to face him, "Maybe that's a good thing, Moony. She could be just like Peter."

        "You don't know that, James," He glared, "She never really interacted with her brother. She didn't even know why her brother was in Azkaban until she asked Sirius last night." I saw red in that moment, raking a hand through my hair aggressively.

        "You mean to tell me that she knows what Peter did to my family now?" I glared at him, shaking my head, "She's probably reveling in the fact that h—"

        Remus cut me off, "She told Sirius that if you wanted her to, she'd leave the Order." I gawked at him, "She said that she felt terrible, that she never knew a person could do that to someone so close to them. And then she offered to resign for you. So that you wouldn't have to wallow in your sorrow every time you saw her." I had no words. Now I really felt bad.

        "She said that?" I muttered, a frown tugging at my lips. He nodded, glaring at me slightly.

        "You of all people know that being related to someone horrible doesn't make you a bad person. You befriended Sirius even though his family hated yours. You let him live with you. You know what Regulus did to help us during the first war." I lowered my head in my shame, placing a hand on the back of my neck.

        I sighed, "Now I feel bad." Remus gave a snarky laugh, "Maybe I'll go with the kids today, apologize when we visit her shop."

        He nodded along, non-verbally agreeing. The guests in the house started to wake, I could hear the twins scaring the girls awake and Molly scolding Arthur for something. Remus got up, patting my shoulder before heading upstairs to help establish some order up there. I thought about what I would say to apologize to her as I nursed my mug of coffee. The coffee she made for everyone else. I took a quick glance at the mug she had left in a hurry, noticing a lipstick stain on the rim. I sighed before following behind Remus and heading up the stairs to get ready for the long day that was sure to come.

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂