𝟔|𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐘

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂

❐❑ 𝐊𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐘 ❒❏

        ― IT HAD BEEN A week since my last encounter with James. There hadn't been any recent Order meetings because of the children's departure to school. I had been busy with multiple pre-orders for shipments to Hogwarts, and had to make sure I was able to order all of the supplies needed. Overall, it had been a really hectic week.

        There was an Order dinner tonight, and I was busy rushing around getting ready. I hadn't washed my hair in a few days and I still didn't know what I was going to wear. I hurriedly took a shower and sifted through my closet until I found something to wear to the meeting. I found an off-the-shoulder flounce sleeve dress in my closet. It was a beautiful green satin fabric that complimented my skin tone wonderfully.

        I smiled brightly at my find, quickly grabbing a pair of green platform sandals. I put on my face and slipped into the dress, brushing out my hair and leaving it as is. By the time I had finished all this it was time to go, so I grabbed my purse and apparated to Sirius' house.

        When I appeared, Tonks was standing outside. She caught sight of me and waved me over frantically, a large grin on her face. I waved shyly back at her before walking as quickly as I could towards her, "Hey!" I greeted, giving her a small hug as she held me at arms length.

         "Damn! You look really nice." She complimented, giggling. I blushed, flustered at the compliment. She noticed and sighed, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and walking me inside, "If anyone asks, you're my date. Can't let anyone this smoking hot slip through my fingers." I shook my head at her comments, laughing at her. She sent me one last grin before we made it to the living room. Everyone was seated, laughing and having a drink. Tonks and I took a seat on an unoccupied love seat, carrying on our own small conversation.

        All of a sudden, James, Sirius, and Remus busted through the door, falling one on top of the other as they wrestled. I jumped, biting back a scream. Dora — a nickname she insisted I used — elbowed me because of my reaction, teasing me for being frightened so easily, "This is what normally happens at these events," She explained, "Better get used to all the tackling."

        Sirius wormed his way out of the man pile, somewhat frolicking over to us, "Nymphy! My favorite... Cousin? Niece? Grandmother thrice removed?" He chortled, sidling up between us and wrapping an arm around each of our shoulders, "And Kitty! Looking ravishing as ever!" I blushed once more at the compliments I was receiving, covering my face with my hands. Maybe I shouldn't have worn this dress...

        Dora groaned, "Sirius if you don't get off of me I will break each of your fingers." He chuckled, raising his hands in surrender as he stood back up, stretching before walking away.

        "You know you love me, Nymphy!" Dora rolled her eyes, ignoring the nickname he called her. We continued our previous conversation for around ten more minutes before Molly called us to the dining table, saying dinner was ready.

        I was one of the last few in the kitchen, leaving only a few spots around the table. The only empty seats were by James and Severus. I didn't really want to sit by Snape, he kind of freaked me out with the stares he sent my way. I took the brave choice to sit by James, giving him a small smile before taking my seat and staring at the plate in front of me.

        I was nudged gently in my side, making me turn towards him, "You look lovely. I like that color." I thanked him quietly, again wondering why I had been getting so many compliments. It was one of the plainest dresses I owned, I didn't think I looked all that special.

        Conversation broke out quickly among the table, but I stayed silent. Something about James made me scared to speak. I didn't know if it was because of what happened the first time we met, or if it was for some other reason. But I hadn't uttered a word during the meal unless it was asking for someone to pass the pepper.

        "So, Kitty," I looked up to face Sirius, who had his chin rested in his hands as he smiled mischeviously at me, "You do art commissions, right?" I nodded, taking a sip of my water, "Would you perhaps paint me naked? Like one of those French girls I'm sure you know all about?" I choked, water coming out of my nose as I coughed up the fluid. Sirius was barking with laughter, making the rest of the table join in on his antics. I was busy blotting my burning nose with my napkin, still struggling to catch a steady breath.

        I suddenly felt a big, warm hand on my back, patting it gently and rubbing slightly to ease my struggle. My face became even redder than it already was as I turned to face James, who quickly took his hand off my back, "Sorry." He mumbled, placing his hand back in his lap before turning away from me.

        I drew a shaky breath, attempting to ignore what just happened before turning back to Sirius  and glaring at him playfully, "I mean I've done it before, I'm just not sure I'd be able to paint something so microscopic as the thing between your legs." He gaped at me, mouth wide open in shock at the insult I threw at him. Remus and James burst into fits of child-like giggles at my jab, making me smile a bit wider. Tonks tried to high-five me across the table, but ended up leaning too far into her mashed potatoes and getting it on her dress shirt.

        The night was still young, and this had been the most fun I'd had since school. I was grateful for the opportunity that got presented to me not so long ago. I felt as if I had made many new friends, and I was happy to be working with these people. We kept on a playful banter, teasing one another and making sarcastic digs at one another. I couldn't believe my luck at how easy it was to get on with most of the people here.

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂