Chapter 54

James stepped forward, holstering the weapon. "You know where it is?" Marcus nodded. "How?"

"I didn't even realize that's what it was until Matteo just mentioned going across state lines. Once when I was first working for Tomasso years and years ago, he asked for me to meet him at a storage unit. It was during some time when he was taking a lot of heat, before Renzo, before even his father made his way over here. Anyway, it was only once and I thought nothing of it until now. That's where he's gone every time to hide out when there's heat on him." Marcus paused and gave me an apologetic smile.

"It's ok." I murmured and he nodded.

James glanced at me and back towards Marcus. "We are going to need reinforcements."

I shakily walked back towards the empty armchair. "I don't know how all this works, James." I whispered, my voice fading as the pain was creeping back in. We knew where Renzo was. I knew where he was and could feel myself drifting away quickly. "Do what is necessary." I finished and he nodded before quickly pulling out his phone.

"James!" I stopped him just as he was about to leave the office that smelled of iron and sweat.

"Yes, my lady?" He offered me a soft smile.

"I want to go with. I need to be there no matter what we end up finding."

He gave a curt nod and swiftly left the room. Everything and everyone moved in a thick murky distance around me. People came and went, securing both Matteo and Gianna for whatever decision Renzo would make upon his return. Everything in me hurt. It was a struggle to follow Isabella from the room when the cleaners arrived to destroy any evidence of what we'd done.

Gianna and Matteo were both out cold, bound and gagged, being watched over by several of Renzo's loyal soldiers in the family room upstairs. Mia and Lily guided me to the bathtub to wash and clean up and then I somehow managed to show them the closet where they dressed me in a black cropped shirt and a pair of straight legged jeans.

Everything seemed to happen while I watched, even above my own body. So many people filed in and out of the cabin, taking orders from James and bowing in my direction as I was now perched on the couch; waiting. I was of no help, besides waiting.

Out of the way. I was at least out of the way. Even Isabella seemed to be of more use than I was. It wasn't that I didn't want to help, it's the fact that I knew everyone had more experience than I did in this situation.

When did I become so entangled in this world? Lily and Mia sat on either side of me, simply being beside me. I couldn't bring myself to sleep, to speak, as the night faded and the sun was pouring in brightly into the cabin.

The cleaners were long gone, Matteo and Gianna drugged back to unconsciousness as James continued to take care of the preparations. A tear slid down my cheek as my mind wandered back to Brick. Renzo had seemed so angry, so in shock over losing him.

Gradually, things seemed to shift. The energy inside this cabin shifted and I could sense we were nearing the end of preparations. Then the door opened and in walked one of the scariest looking men I had ever seen. He was tall, large, and filled the doorway. The dark complexion of his skin rippled over muscles upon muscles. His eyes darted around the room on high alert, situational awareness recognized by even innocent little me.

His eyes. I couldn't look away as they latched onto my gaze. Piercing, intense, and angry. Focused rage. Something I wished I could hone. I watched as he stepped into the room, causing the rafters to quake by his mere presence. James glanced up from the papers he was looking at with Marcus and a nasty grin spread across his face.

"Antone." He said. The name rang a bell. Rang something that I'd only heard once before, and it took a moment of searching my memories for me to recall the single moment I'd heard that name. Consigliere.