ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

FOUR OF SPADES 

"YOU'RE TELLING ME NOW?"

Nicolas looked between the three members of his adopted family in disbelief. His eyes flicked back to Joey. Muggles and wizarding families alike bustled around them as they stood outside King's Cross Station.

"We wanted to surprise you when you came back, you know? I mean, Joey's been anxious to get us to write to you, but we somehow managed to convince him that it was better to wait to tell you to your face." Nicolas's adoptive mother, Helen McCarthy, gave her biological son a gentle pat on the head.

"Just think, Nic," Joey looked up at his adopted brother with a grin, "this time next year I'll be coming back from my first few months at Hogwarts." Nicolas couldn't fault the ecstatic feeling in his bones as he gazed down at the boy.

Then James came up behind the family, ruffling Nicolas's hair with a laugh as his own parents, Euphemia and Fleamont, happily said their hellos to Helen and Angus. Nicolas scoffed and shoved the boy away.

"Have you told Nicolas yet?" Euphemia queried, glancing to the Hufflepuff, then back to his parents.

"Oh, what's the big news?" James asked, suddenly curious and diverting his attention to the McCarthy's as well.

"Well, Joey has displayed some signs of magic over the past few weeks," Angus replied. "So we asked your parents, and they gladly confirmed it for us. We thought it was just coincidence–"

"Ah, yeah, there's no such thing as coincidence," James grinned. "So you're gonna go to Hogwarts? Wicked." James held out his hand to Joey, and the younger boy gave him a hearty high-five. "Make sure you get sorted into Gryffindor, alright? And try out for Quidditch when you get into your second year."

"Stop trying to recruit my younger brother, James," Nicolas scolded. He gave James a vicious elbow to the ribs, but he didn't seem to notice. "Honestly, have some shame, would you?"

"How can I have some shame when one of my house values is pride, Nic?" James hummed as if he'd won some sort of debate, leaning closer to the boy. "It's a bit nonsensical, don't you think?"

"The only thing nonsensical is the fact that Dumbledore made you someone with such important duties like the ones you have now." Nicolas was referencing James' promotion to Head Boy. He was beyond surprised when James had shown up for their first day, the shining badge on his chest.

"Alright, you two, I think it's time you took this little fued back home," Fleamont spoke up, coming behind both boys and placing his hands on their shoulders. "Before it gets a little too heated and something happens."

Both families knew how easy it was for Nicolas and James to stir each other up. They had a good friendship, they'd seen that in play many times, but their desire to fight as captains of their House Quidditch teams held a much stronger passion. James backed off with a grin that Nicolas didn't trust.

"We'll see you later, then," Angus told the magical family. He took a hold of Nicolas and tugged the boy away from James. Euphemia and Fleamont nodded.

"See you then," Euphemia smiled, waving goodbye to the muggle family. They headed back to the train station, no doubt to apparate back to their home. Nicolas wished his parents were here so he could do that, too.

"Alright, kids, who's ready for a two-hour drive back home?" Angus turned to Joey and Nicolas, clapping his hands and sporting a grin, only to receive unhappy and bored-looking expressions in return. His smile dropped with a sigh. "Oh, come on, just get in the car."

"I HATE CAR RIDES."

"Oh, come on, Joey," Helen turned in her seat to smile at her son, "it wasn't that bad. And we're back home, now, so you can do whatever."

"I definitely will," Joey unbuckled himself eagerly and made his way out of the car faster than Nicolas thought possible. The Hufflepuff could only laugh as his adoptive brother ran inside.

"Kids these days," Angus groaned, exiting the car himself. "I'll get your trunk from the back, son.

Nicolas stayed in the car for a moment, his seatbelt unbuckled. His mother got out and sent him a questioning look when she noticed his immobile state. Nicolas's eyes trailed to the home across the street, the Potter's, and he let out a breath. His fingers gripped the car handle and pushed the door open. His breath came out in a white fog, which made him smile slightly, and he adjusted his scarf as he closed the vehicle door with his hip.

"Hey, Nic!" Nicolas sighed, hanging his head. "I know you heard me! I saw that disappointed sigh of yours."

"Go hang with him, Nicolas," Helen urged, shooting her adopted son a smile. "I know you're friends with James."

"You don't want my help?" Nicolas offered, hoping she would say yes. Helen narrowed her eyes at the boy, already knowing what he was doing. "Alright. I'll be nice."

"Oh, Ni-ic!" James called again in a sing-song voice. Finally, the blonde turned to the brunet, raising his eyebrow. "Hey, got your attention!"

Nicolas heard his mother laugh before she walked to their house. "What do you want, James?"

"Oh, don't be like that," James waved his arm at Nicolas as he neared the fence surrounding his family's property. He placed one hand on the frosty metal and jumped it with ease. Though, he almost slipped when he landed. "Damn. Um, you didn't see that."

"I did," Nicolas smirked, "I just wish I managed to capture it on film." James looked both ways down the street before jogging, a dangerous thing to do with such an icy road, across to Nicolas. He stopped and offered the boy a grin. "Again, Potter, what do you want?"

"Well, Jones," James was mocking Nic, "I was going to ask if you wanted to come with me and get something from one of the market stalls in the park? I thought you might like a bit of space, and food, after your car ride and the fact you didn't have anything to eat today."

Nicolas hated that James was right. His stomach was empty and he really wished he'd had something to eat, even though his travel sickness would have made him throw it up again.

Nicolas opened his mouth to begrudgingly agree to the Gryffindor, but a loud growl from the depths of his stomach, startling both boys, answered for him. James tried to hide his laugh, only to fail miserably and wind up letting a snort escape his mouth. Nicolas' eyes widened as James seemed to howl at himself. The Hufflepuff boy let out an irked sigh.

"Alright, alright, I get it," Nicolas grumbled. He shoved his hands into his pockets and kicked James in the ankle. "Let's get moving, Potter, before I change my mind."

James grinned, almost looking to Nicolas like he was way too pleased with himself for getting him to agree to the little escapade. Nicolas rolled his eyes and began to head the way James was already going.

AUTHOR'S NOTE 

hello! how are you? i hope you're doing well, and i hope you're taking care of yourself.

i honestly love nic's family. joey >>> any other character i made up for this book.

anyways, i hope you enjoyed this chapter. thank you for reading it, and feel free to vote or comment if you want. I'll see you all next time. bye! :)