ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

SEVEN OF SPADES

"IT'S PRETTY COLD OUT."

Nicolas hummed in agreement with his mother.

"Did you want to take your scarf?"

"I'll be fine, Mum." Nicolas adjusted the jacket on his shoulders, folding down the collar. He let out a soft sigh and turned to her. "Thank you for caring, but please, don't worry about me. I think I've learned enough on dealing with a cold day over the past 17 years."

His mother let out a soft laugh and nodded in understanding. "Okay. Have fun out there, sweetheart." She blew him a kiss, as she always did when he left, and returned to the living room.

Nicolas smiled after her and crouched down to tie his laces. His fingers were quick with them, but they still weren't tied when the doorbell rang. Nicolas frowned in confusion. He pulled the last knot tight and stood. Walking towards the door, Nicolas pulled it open, expecting to see some daytime carolers or a salesperson who was unfortunate enough to be doing rounds on Boxing Day. Instead, he was greeted with—

"James?" The Gryffindor smiled sheepishly at Nicolas, raising a gloved hand to rub his neck. "What... Why are you here?"

"I still figured I would come by, ask if you wanted to go to the markets with me?" He glanced down at Nicolas' attire. "But I totally get if you want nothing to do with me right now, or if you've decided on your own plans for today."

Nicolas frowned at James, wishing he could muster some ounce of courage to say the billion things he wanted to say. Nicolas sighed, instead, nodding his head as a small smile graced his face.

"Okay, I'll... I'll join you. I can't stand seeing that kicked-puppy look on your face." Nicolas stepped out of the door, shutting it behind him, and grabbed James's coat sleeve. "There's a small Christmas show that happens in the square, right where the markets are, at about noon. I saw it last year to get a break from all Joey's relatives that came over..."

"Don't do that, Nic." Nicolas furrowed his eyebrows and turned to James.

"Do what?"

"Talk about your family as if they're not. Joey's relatives are yours, too. Even if you're not blood related." James swung his arm over Nicolas's shoulder and smiled gently at him. "And screw 'em if they don't think you're part of the family! You're more a part of it than they are!"

Nicolas couldn't help but laugh at James's words. He reached up a hand to James's that resided on his shoulder and gave the Gryffindor a grateful smile.

"Thanks, James..." Nicolas turned his head away from James and found his face heating as a bashful feeling came over him. He nodded his head, beckoning James forward. "Hurry up, Potter, I don't want to miss the show because you're so slow trying to be a sap."

James let out a snort and quickened his pace, faster than Nicolas was anticipating, causing the blonde boy to stumble. "Now who's the slow one, Jones."

Nicolas huffed, keeping in pace as they walked to the square for the second time together. James kept a tight hold on Nicolas's shoulders as Nicolas leaned into him instinctively. They reached the markets after twenty or so minutes, and James immediately dragged Nicolas over to a stall they were at last time. Nicolas could only grin as James pulled him towards the fudge stand, once again gawking at the different ones. Nicolas shoved his hands in his pockets, smiling at the older lady as James murmured over each one as he did the other day.