ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ

QUEEN OF HEARTS

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, THEN, POTTER."

"Merry Christmas to you, too, Jones."

The boys, both laying beside each other on Nicolas's bed once more, listened to the sound of the clock bell alerting everyone it was midnight and the start of Christmas Day. They lay pressed against each other due to Nicolas' small bed with their hands entwined on James' chest.

"If only you had some mistletoe, huh?" James spoke, breaking out into a grin as he looked over at Nicolas. "Would justify my need to kiss you."

"Oh, so it's a need, now?" Nicolas teased, rolling over and adjusting his position so his chin now rested on James's chest as he gazed up at the boy. Nicolas brought both his hands to James's, lacing their fingers together and tapping the backs of James's hands. "Didn't think I was that addicting, Potter."

"Hm," James smiled. His eyes flicked down to their entangled fingers, expression softening. "What do you think the others would say if we came back to school the way we are now?"

"What, me shirtless and you in your pyjamas after a really hot snogging session?" Nicolas shot back, adding a joking smirk. James rolled his eyes.

"You know what I mean. Like this," James looked at his and Nicolas's interlocked hands, "together. Me and you holding hands and stuff."

"You mean all the stuff you and Lily do because, you know... this is probably just a break," Nicolas spoke, his voice quiet. He didn't mean to reply like that, especially with such a defensive tone. James stared down at him, his expression shifting, his eyebrows now furrowed as his nostrils flared.

"Is that all you can focus on?" James snapped. "Me and Lily? Nic, I came to you because, contrary to what your head is telling you, I actually have some feelings for you. Yeah, the same feelings I have for Lily, but feelings nonetheless." James pulled his hands out of Nicolas's. "You think I'm only using you to get myself over Lily, don't you? She's practically said we're broken up, for Merlin's sake!"

"I mean, you have to see it from my side, too, James. You get a letter from Lily saying that she wants to have a break, and then I'm there — and you know what feelings I have for you — and you want to kiss me?" Nicolas sat up, running a hand through his hair as he took a short breath.

"Well maybe I should ask if the only reason you liked me is because you broke up with Lydia?"

There was a pause. "What?" Nicolas stared at James in disbelief.

"Well, you broke up with her and then kissed me ten hours later! What else am I supposed to think?"

James was right. He did do that, didn't he? Shit. But he couldn't tell him he'd fallen out of love with Lydia long before that; otherwise, James would think he was trying to cover his own ass. Double shit.

"If you want to leave, then go, James. I don't want to do this if you don't," Nicolas turned away. "I'm not doing this with you for a bit of fun."

He knew he was leaping, but he didn't want to talk about this anymore. He really liked James, but James was beginning to confuse him. Heck, he was starting to confound himself.