Chapter 1 (What's That Smell?)

Hey guys, I just want to thank you for embarking on this journey with me and Luke.

I am a new writer so please be gracias.

Constructive criticism is welcome but no rudeness please. (Edited)

Luke snapped his book shut. He couldn’t concentrate on the story, his mind just kept wondering. This was unusual for Luke. Usually he got so sucked into the book he forgot about stuff. But there were some things he could never forget about.

People said it would get easier over time. They said things like. “You can't dwell on the past,” and “you have your whole life ahead of you, don't waste it.” They didn’t understand, how can you just get over the death of your Dad?

Luke got up, he couldn’t think of those things, it hurt too much. For the last two years it felt like he had a hole in his heart.

Luke had unfortunately lost his Dad in a crazy car accident at the tender age of 10. What was crazy about the accident, is that the police had found his Dad’s car. It was unrecognizable, but that wasn't too strange. The real weird thing was that they hadn't found a body. 

For a while Luke had thought that meant that his Dad was alive and would come back. But finally the court had declared him dead and his Mom held a funeral. When Luke had heard that there was to be a funeral he was forced to accept that his Dad was dead.

A lot of people had shown up to the funeral. His Father had been an amazing scientist and inventor. He had made lots and lots of useful inventions for people. 

After Dad had died it felt like everything should have changed. Like the days should alway be gray. Like there should be no happiness. Maybe that even the earth should stop spinning and everything just… stop. But life had gone on. Luke still had to go to school. He still had to live.

Luke had wanted to drop out of school and sports when it happened. But Mom had made him continue. And now 2 years later he was grateful for that. School and sports could distract him for a little while from the sea of sorrow that he felt like he was drowning in. They were little life lines that he could cling to.

It helped that Luke was talented in both areas. He had brains and brawn. 

Luke was sort of unusual that way most kids either liked reading or being active or something else. But Luke was a special case. He loved being active, he had the body for it. Luke was tall for his age, at twelve he was 5 foot 4 inches. Luke also had piercing green eyes and black messy hair (which he got from his father). But unlike some kids he could sit for a long time contentedly reading a book.

All of a sudden the door to Luke’s bedroom was pushed open and in came his puppy. “Hey Buster.” He called.

Buster was the name of his puppy. The pup walked over to where Luke stood and plopped down by his feet. The boy smiled and fondly scratched the dog behind his ears. Buster let out a sigh of contentment.

Only a few moments later the black haired boy heard the sound of a car pulling into the driveway. 

“Sounds like Mom's back from work.” 

Buster looked at him and panted in what seemed like agreement. Luke got up from his bed and walked out of his room. 

Across from his bedroom was his Mom’s room. Luke’s Mom was the librarian at the local library. Her room was like a mini library. It had a bed and dresser in one corner and a desk in another. But the rest of the room was filled with bookshelves. 

Luke’s bedroom was very similar. Except above his bed Luke had sport posters. And above his dresser he had a shelf of sport trophies, most of them were first place.