Chapter 10 (The FFBs)

"Watch your step and keep an eye out for boobytraps." Luke said as they chased after George. "This place is probably loaded with them." His Dad had always loved spy movies with boobytraps. And from his and Ivy's experience, they were all very dangerous.

They all nodded, saving their breath for running. After another few minutes of sprinting down hallway after hallway. The corridor came to an abrupt stop, it was a dead end. There were three doors to choose from. Which one had his Dad gone through? He schurched despertly, eyes raking the identical doors.

Then Luke's gaze landed on a swinging door. His Father must have just run through. Luke leapt forward to catch the door before it closed completely and locked them out. He managed to grab it just in the nick of time.

Luke flung the door wide open; there was nothing in the circular room. On the other side was an empty doorway. He looked back at his friends and said. "Come on guys." Beckoning them forward.

Kevo took this as his cue and leaped past Luke and into the room. But he jumped back into the hallway just as quickly.

The reason why he did this was immediately clear.

Lasers crisscrossed the room making a wall of deadly red light. Luke could barely see the other side of the room.

"Now what should we do?" Ivy asked.

"I don't know." Replied Luke, trying to stay calm. But each second that passed gave his Father more time to set up a nasty surprise for them. "I can't see any way to get through." He added.

"But I do." Said Kevo.

"Where?" Buster asked. "I can't see anything. Only grayish bars of light." (If you don't know, dogs are color blind. Meaning they can't see red.)

"It is something only a squirrel can see. And it's a way only a squirrel can go." Replied Kevo. "I'm the only one that can do it. And once I get through, I can find a way to disable the lasers."

"It's too dangerous." Was what Luke wanted to say, but before he could Kevo plunged head first into the glaring red lasers.

It was amazing to watch, and afterwards Luke could never truly explain how he did it. Kevo ducked and weaved in and out of the deadly red light. His body seemed to be made of liquid. Time and time again Luke thought Kevo was trapped. But what looked like an impenetrable wall of light to Luke was a door to Kevo.

Finally he was safely on the other side. Suddenly the lasers disiped, and on the other side was a triumphant slightly singed and smoking Kevo; With a sparking circuit board behind him.

"You did it, fuzzball. And without becoming shish kabob in the process. Great job!" Yelled Buster.

They all rushed over to Kevo to congratulate him on his amazing accomplishment. Ivy patted him on the back and received a strong shock.

"Thanks guys, but don't we have something to be doing?" Kevo's comment remined them what they were after. 'To stop this great evil' as the squirrel had put it.

"Right." Said Luke. "Let's go."

After running for a while they saw an open door. And Luke's wolf ears heard breathing. He took a deep breath and smelled his Dad.

"He's in there." Luke said softly.

"Then let's go in there and teach him people do not take kindly to being kidnapped and transformed." Yelled Ivy, venously.

"Yeah, let's go!" Cried Kevo. With that the group stepped forward, and into the light.

The first thing Luke saw was his Father. And the first thing he heard was his voice.

"So you decided to try and fight me. Well sorry to disappoint you, but you're going to fight my FFBs instead."

"We're going to fight your Fabulous Flying Bananas." Buster asked, confused.

"What!!! No!!! You're going to fight my Flying Fighter Bots!!!" He shouted, traribly enraged by the puppy's simple question.

"Now stop distracting me!!! FFBs attack!!!" And with that Doctor George taped something on a device he pulled from his pocket. Luke briefly thought of how much his dad sounded like a classic villain. "He's been watching too many superhero movies." Luke thought.

But he didn't have any more time to think. Before they could react a door opened and the robots attacked. The Flying Fighter Bots looked a lot like big drones with spinning saw blades. They were completely balck.

The robots used some sort of blue circular energy, pules thingy to hover in the air and come chasing after the would be escapes. Luke didn't even that it was pliable to make these things. He had only seen them in movies and such.

And the FFBs were fast. Luke had to jump over one FFB and duck under another.

But he was not defenseless, and neither was Ivy. They both had claws, and fangs, not to mention enhanced speed, and strength. Also Ivy had her knife. Together they destroyed dozens of bots. Kevo and Buster were doing pretty good themselves.

But for every drone they took down two rose up to take their place. In a few minutes Luke's clothes were in tatters, and he had quite a few cuts. The others weren't faring much better.

"I don't know how much longer we can hold up. Soon one of the bots will get lucky and then they can start picking us off one by one." He thought.

"Stop this before it's too late Luke!!!" George's voice came through the noise of battle. Seeming to reflect Luke's thoughts. "Sooner or later one of you will fall. And the rest will come easily after that. Give up."

"Never!!" Shouted Luke redoubling his efforts. He tore through robot after robot. And suddenly he was beside his Father, who had been lost in the chaos up until this point. Probably hiding from his son's and his friends' wrath. 

Luke started to sprint straight towards his dad. "If I can just take down my Dad and turn off these robots we might survive!"

"Luke!! Look out!!" Buster suddenly screamed at his beloved boy, desperately.

The wolf boy turned just in time to see the whole swarm of Flying Fighter Bots flying straight towards him. Buzzing like a nest of demented bees.

Dun dun dun! Mahaaaaaa. Another cliff hanger. Will Luke be ok?

Thank you all so much for reading.

Please tell me your thoughts. And if you like it, vote!

Word count: 1066